Stock Radio Wont Turn On

coolest35

Hey guys,

I tried putting in a aftermarket radio into my 09 sentra (mid range audio) via scosche nn04b harness hook up. Couldn't get it to power on, checked the harness connections, which are okay.

I than tried putting the stock radio back in using stock connector, which won't power on, neither does the info screen above radio, I can however when turning lights on get the stereo button lights to illuminate, there is no activity with the player itself, i.e. doesn't accept CD's, do anything with power on/off, seek etc., the info screen won't turn on either.

I've checked the fuses located in the cabin (where the audio ones are), visually nothing obvious, I went ahead and replaced the one labelled "radio", I also checked the connections with a multimeter, results:

1. Red wire (12v+ acc), is working

2. Yellow wire (12v constant) is NOT working

3. Black is grounded to chasis

4. Orange works based off positive illumination of radio buttons.

What i think i have eliminated:

1) blown fuse somewhere

2) Security feature? (per research, none to begin with)

Any ideas on what's going wrong?

Thanks

See if this works since your red wire is hot.

Hook red and yellow wires from hu to the red wire that feeds the hu, turn key on.

If/when radio works you will know that it's the yellow wire goofed.

fuse blown or wire cut.If you never find it you can always run a new wire to a source that's always hot.
Not sure what fuse though, visually inspected all (I know not 100%).

If all fails, I might just buy a replacement stock harness that runs from cabin fuse box to stereo.

See if this works since your red wire is hot.Hook red and yellow wires from hu to the red wire that feeds the hu, turn key on.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give this a try and report back!

probably a fuse... inside or at the engine bay fuse box.. yellow is constant 12v if u dont have constant 12v it wont turn on....

but how would this explain illumination of stereo with lights being on?

The engine bay doesn't contain any labeled interior fuses.

I guess one way to approach this is to replace all fuses in interior compartment...

Totally stumped!

dont know the car but i would say problably iluminates the the stereo cuze u have 12v from key on.... and it want to turn on but its missing the 12v perment just check visualy the fusses i dont know but normaly the yellow does not have fuse check continuaty of the hire....

fuse blown or wire cut.If you never find it you can always run a new wire to a source that's always hot.
See if this works since your red wire is hot.Hook red and yellow wires from hu to the red wire that feeds the hu, turn key on.

dont know the car but i would say problably iluminates the the stereo cuze u have 12v from key on.... and it want to turn on but its missing the 12v perment just check visualy the fusses i dont know but normaly the yellow does not have fuse check continuaty of the hire....
Thanks for the replies guys..

Great news, when I connected the red (hot) wire to the yellow, it functions. I guess the culprit is the yellow wire.

Now, how do I go about replacing this?

1) Brand new relay stock harness

2) Crimp the yellow wire before it goes into the plastic part and connect via shark connector directly to Metra yellow connection

Also, one other question, any problems with leaving the yellow hooked up with the yellow connection temporarily for a week or so? (Work will prevent me from fixing this if it needs more thorough fix i.e. replace new relay harness).

Again, really appreciate it!

EDIT/UPDATE: I tried to hooking up metra yellow to yellow constant 12v from car..get nothing.. (red to red was done too).

At this point, due to being short on time, will go ahead and connect the other yellow to the hot red and let it do its thing. Someone let me know if this is a bad idea (besides losing stereo memory, which I don't think is happening as I tested it by turning off and on a few times.. presents and everything was saved).

Last edited by a moderator:
yellow is permanet for a reason, its the memory power, so if u conect to red (key power) u will lose all of ur setting and radio memories every time u turn off ur key

u have 2 cheap/easy ways to solve that...

1- u can find were do u have permante power with key of and pull a wire from there and conect to the yellow from radio plug

2 u can pull a new wire from the batery with a fuse and conect to the yellow from radio plug //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Great, will try and re-wire as above.

For temporary purposes, I've hit another snag.

After installing everything in the cabin (mic, gps antenna etc.), and completing install, I tried to turn it on.. nothing. ****!.

Anyways, reinspected wires, seemed okay, low and behold radio fuse is blown.. so replace once.. and than return on.. nothing.. blown the fuse again.

I've attached some pictures, can't figure out where it could be shorting.. any ideas? I've taped closed all open/unused wires..

The connection is grounded to chasis via black wire.

https://imgfly.me/i/ttl9v

https://imgfly.me/i/tt5VF

https://imgfly.me/i/ttOPQ

https://imgfly.me/i/ttmf4

https://imgfly.me/i/ttuTb

https://imgfly.me/i/tt9HA

What ya'll think? This radio wearing on me.....

Sounds like you have a hot wire/ constant grounding out.Its possible that your ground may be loose also sparking trying to gain ground and blowing the fuse also..Ive had that happen in the past with a Sansui hu.Id check that out while you are in there.Got have a good ground.May even try running a seperate ground point from the harness rather than relying going through that harness.Dont cut it through all the way, just expose and add and tape it up and locate another ground point under the dash..Id use 14ga min

What after market HU you putting in? Make and model number? i have received the wrong harness before/on several occasions.You might cross reference that harness again to see if its the correct one? Ive made a mistake before several times.It happens

Sounds like you have a hot wire/ constant grounding out.Its possible that your ground may be loose also sparking trying to gain ground and blowing the fuse also..Ive had that happen in the past with a Sansui hu.Id check that out while you are in there.Got have a good ground.May even try running a seperate ground point from the harness rather than relying going through that harness.Dont cut it through all the way, just expose and add and tape it up and locate another ground point under the dash..Id use 14ga min
What after market HU you putting in? Make and model number? i have received the wrong harness before/on several occasions.You might cross reference that harness again to see if its the correct one? Ive made a mistake before several times.It happens
1. Its a chinese android head unit (seems to be built well, no issues when it worked briefly)

2. I checked the harness to make sure it's the correct version after my initial troubles, and it seems to check out on what its suppose to be. I hope this doesn't end up being an issue at the end of the day.

3. My ground wire is a circular pin type, which I have inserted between a bolt attaching to the chasis, so unlikely to have come loose, unless I tugged on the harness too much and accidentally loosened it, thus not being grounded anymore, I will try what you suggested and connect an additional wire to the chassis to see if this solves the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions!

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

dam u r realy out of look, u have a short circuit there check and recheck ur hot wires...
I will redo the harness shortly and report back on what happens.

EDIT:

Okay, rechecked the ground, its bolted down to chassis, can't imagine this to be a problem.

1st try: Put in fresh fuse, retried red-red-yellow connection.. result: blown fuse

2nd try: Put in fresh fuse, connected only red-red connection.. result: no blown fuse, no activity with head unit

3rd try: Working fuse, connected the red-red-yellow (yellow that is going to HU), result: fuse gets blown as soon as I plug into HU.

The black wire going to the HU harness, is grounded as above. As soon as the yellow wire is hooked in.. the fuse gets blown. WTF!

Possible issue: Bad stock HU harness?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.