Stock electrical

You can leave the stock ground wires and run the new wiring along with them. As far as the alt wire goes, if it's a stock alt, you can leave the factory wire and run a new one, if it's a HO alt, get rid of the stock wire. Since you're running a stock wire right now, you'll be fine to leave it along with the new wire. I'd recommend using 1/0 for the big 3.

You can leave the stock ground wires and run the new wiring along with them. As far as the alt wire goes, if it's a stock alt, you can leave the factory wire and run a new one, if it's a HO alt, get rid of the stock wire. Since you're running a stock wire right now, you'll be fine to leave it along with the new wire. I'd recommend using 1/0 for the big 3.
So dont even take the old grounds outjust do some new ones?

leave all current wiring just add 1/0, doesnt matter since it will take the path of less resistance which will be the 1/0

I see a lot of recommendations for the Big 3. Can anyone explain why it actually helps when running stock?
The big 3 helps with voltage drops. It WILL NOT increase voltage. A lot of people on here talk about it increasing voltage. What it does do is decrease the voltage loss during a voltage drop. Before I did my big 3, I would get voltage drops that would drop my voltage from 14.4 volts to under 12 volts at idle. Now, if I have any voltage drop, it stays in the upper 13s at the lowest. There's still a drop, the average voltage at idle, 14.4 volts, is the same, but the drops are not nearly what they were. This is what the big 3 is for.

I have a 92 caprice wagom with the 350, Single stock alt (105 in mine) with big three did "ok" ubnder about 2 kwrms, severe dimming and voltage drop, but it worked.

I didnt want extra batteries, so i have dual alternators now, with a big batt up front, never below 14.2 with 2kwrms going full tilt w/air conditioning and lights on

I have a 92 caprice wagom with the 350, Single stock alt (105 in mine) with big three did "ok" ubnder about 2 kwrms, severe dimming and voltage drop, but it worked.

I didnt want extra batteries, so i have dual alternators now, with a big batt up front, never below 14.2 with 2kwrms going full tilt
Just a quick question for you, not to thread jack, but are there cosmetic differences between the 305 and the 350? With the 94-96, the L99 and LT1 look identical. Also, do you know the VIN codes for them? It's the 8th digit in the VIN. The L99 is W and the LT1 is P. These are just a few things I've been curious about. I guess I could figure it out on my Impala forum, but this is easier. Also, if you've got pics of the big 3, post them up because it'll help out the OP with his, assuming the engines look the same.

Im pushing 1500w in my car and my lights dim and the amp turns off from low voltage, what can i do to stop this
1500wrms shouldn't be dropping voltage low enough to cut the amp off unless the gains are set incorrectly. Were the gains set with a DMM? proper gain setting is step one. step 2, big 3. Step 3, trunk batt and upgraded stock batt

I see a lot of recommendations for the Big 3. Can anyone explain why it actually helps when running stock?
THe big 3 can be thought of like straws. Stock electrical is like the little straw they serve with alcoholic drinks, upgraded electrical is like the straws they serve with Big gulps. Have you tried drinking a Big Gulp with an alcohol straw? very difficult. Same way with current going to amps. THey want to draw big amounts of power, but little wiring (especially ground) will mean the power won't get there, causing the voltage to drop.

1500wrms shouldn't be dropping voltage low enough to cut the amp off unless the gains are set incorrectly. Were the gains set with a DMM? proper gain setting is step one. step 2, big 3. Step 3, trunk batt and upgraded stock batt
I have learned, it seems as though others on here also have issues with it too, the stock Caprice electrical system *****. Breaking causes a voltage drop.

THe big 3 can be thought of like straws. Stock electrical is like the little straw they serve with alcoholic drinks, upgraded electrical is like the straws they serve with Big gulps. Have you tried drinking a Big Gulp with an alcohol straw? very difficult. Same way with current going to amps. THey want to draw big amounts of power, but little wiring (especially ground) will mean the power won't get there, causing the voltage to drop.
A little useless information... The Big Gulp is about twice the volume of the average human stomach. That's a lot of liquid.

Just a quick question for you, not to thread jack, but are there cosmetic differences between the 305 and the 350? With the 94-96, the L99 and LT1 look identical. Also, do you know the VIN codes for them? It's the 8th digit in the VIN. The L99 is W and the LT1 is P. These are just a few things I've been curious about. I guess I could figure it out on my Impala forum, but this is easier. Also, if you've got pics of the big 3, post them up because it'll help out the OP with his, assuming the engines look the same.
I dont remember the vin differences off hand.. maybe 8th is the engine on these, I think j for 350...

I dont believe there are any major cosmetic differences between the two

you can see some of the big three from here

2540_192.jpg

2540_188.jpg

The two big wires from the alternator go through a 300amp fuse (I fuse to wire size) each, then to the battery, there is a large techflex wrapped wire you can see that is the engine to battery ground, then there is a third that you cant see, its a battery direct to chassis, done with 4 runs of two gauge directly from the battery to the frame

I dont remember the vin differences off hand.. maybe 8th is the engine on these, I think j for 350...I dont believe there are any major cosmetic differences between the two

you can see some of the big three from here

2540_192.jpg

2540_188.jpg

The two big wires from the alternator go through a 300amp fuse (I fuse to wire size) each, then to the battery, there is a large techflex wrapped wire you can see that is the engine to battery ground, then there is a third that you cant see, its a battery direct to chassis, done with 4 runs of two gauge directly from the battery to the frame
Nice intake. Are you a member of impalassforum.com/vBulletin ? If not, I'd recommend joining.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.