Stock electrical

I've got an Optima D34/78 yellow top up front with 1/0 for my big 3 and I still get dimming with my 1100 watts rms my amps supply. The voltage drop is relatively small at idle, 14.4 goes down to about 13.8 at a minimum now. It's still enough to dim the lights, but nothing to force the amps to shut off. I've got the K68 (105 amp) alternator. See which alternator you've got. If you have a 94 to 96 Caprice look for K68 or KG9 on the spid label on the trunk lid. Those are the 105 amp and 140 amp alternators, respectively. These alternators are NOT interchangable. You would also have to change the alt bracket which is a lot of work. If you have a 93 or earlier, I can't really tell from your avatar, I'm not sure of the alt ratings. With 1500 rms, you may need a higher output alt or a second battery or both.

I've got an Optima D34/78 yellow top up front with 1/0 for my big 3 and I still get dimming with my 1100 watts rms my amps supply. The voltage drop is relatively small at idle, 14.4 goes down to about 13.8 at a minimum now. It's still enough to dim the lights, but nothing to force the amps to shut off. I've got the K68 (105 amp) alternator. See which alternator you've got. If you have a 94 to 96 Caprice look for K68 or KG9 on the spid label on the trunk lid. Those are the 105 amp and 140 amp alternators, respectively. These alternators are NOT interchangable. You would also have to change the alt bracket which is a lot of work. If you have a 93 or earlier, I can't really tell from your avatar, I'm not sure of the alt ratings. With 1500 rms, you may need a higher output alt or a second battery or both.
i got a 1991 caprice, but i got my alternator replaced in november but i dont know how much amps is it

Oh, and big 3 is a must. I see now that you're driving a 91 or 92. I can't tell which though from the pic. I've talked to you about this before. You have the TBI engine in there that I don't know too much about. The big 3 shouldn't be too difficult, but my pics won't help since the engines are completely different. Run a new positive batt to alt, batt neg. to ground, and engine block to ground. Put about a 250 amp fuse on the wire from the batt to the alt.

Oh, and big 3 is a must. I see now that you're driving a 91 or 92. I can't tell which though from the pic. I've talked to you about this before. You have the TBI engine in there that I don't know too much about. The big 3 shouldn't be too difficult, but my pics won't help since the engines are completely different. Run a new positive batt to alt, batt neg. to ground, and engine block to ground. Put about a 250 amp fuse on the wire from the batt to the alt.
but the thing i dont understand is, what do i do with the old grounds, do i just cut them off of the stock terminal rings. Then i just replace them with new terminal rings and wire?

Also what gauge wire should i run...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.