Still having transmission problem...

Participant count
  • Participant list

09civic
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
So when I bought my car about a year ago, it was having a transmission problem. It is a 95 saturn SL with 75K on the engine. After about a month of having it, the transmission was acting wierd. While im driving and I start to slow down, if I don't completely stop and go to accelerate, it will slip and go into 2nd or 3rd and I have to get up to 45 mph to get it into 5th and it goes back to normal. Once I stop completely, it will go back to normal. This will happen almost daily. I said this on the forum awhile ago and I said if I should flush the transmission, but y'all said that if I do that, it might actually make it worse. Now, when I bought this car, it sat in a garage for god knows how long. So they didn't maintance and the fluid just sat in there. So should I flush it or keep it how it is?

Needs to be opened up bro, no way around it. A fluid exchange won't fix slipping like that. And ya, it could make it worse if anything at all.

eDIT: Also, I'm not understanding you're problem exactly, the transmission should switch to a lower gear when you slow down and go to accelerate again.

So when I bought my car about a year ago, it was having a transmission problem. It is a 95 saturn SL with 75K on the engine. After about a month of having it, the transmission was acting wierd. While im driving and I start to slow down, if I don't completely stop and go to accelerate, it will slip and go into 2nd or 3rd and I have to get up to 45 mph to get it into 5th and it goes back to normal. Once I stop completely, it will go back to normal. This will happen almost daily. I said this on the forum awhile ago and I said if I should flush the transmission, but y'all said that if I do that, it might actually make it worse. Now, when I bought this car, it sat in a garage for god knows how long. So they didn't maintance and the fluid just sat in there. So should I flush it or keep it how it is?
I'm not a car expert but my Pontiac had the same problem.i did a partial flush just draining and changing the filter(not flushing what was in the torque) and it ran fine for me.the best way to know if you have a bad transmission is to do what I did and check the magnet on the transmission tray(bowl or whatever you like to call it) and if it's just got dark smudges on the magnet your transmission will be fine.On the other hand if the magnet has metal debris on it your transmissions going bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.