Look what I found yesterday!

Joseph7195
10+ year member

Walkin Tall
I have been dreading opening this rear axle up, but I finally decided to tackle it and I am glad I did! This is the outer pinion bearing race. Definitely has some problems!

bearingrace003.jpg

bearingrace002.jpg

bearingrace001.jpg

I still have to measure backlashing and some other stuff, but I don't have much left to do. If I was to let a mechanic do this work it would have cost over $700.00 just for the labor! I am doing it all for less than $300.00. This is why car audio and vehicle maintenance comes so naturally to me, it's all about learning!

Looks like pitting from rust/corrosion. What kind of rear end is it? Ive tackled a few of them. I have about 100$ in specific tools needed to do it, but better than the 600$ for install at a shop. What are you using for marking compound? Lipstick works good, its hard to find actual marking compound it seems unless you buy online.

It's a Chrysler Corporate 9.25". That's why it costs so much. I have the carrier bearing spanner tool already and the back lash caliper. I was able to find a total rebuild kit online for $129.00 on Jegs.com. It's has to be the most finicky rear end I have ever rebuilt. You got any good tips for removing the bearings from the third member and pinion? I am trying to save the 30 bucks to have a shop press them off and new ones on. And you got any other tips UniBrad?

I cleaned everything and I don't believe I have any internal problems

axle004.jpg

axle003.jpg

axle002.jpg

axle001.jpg

I took these pics just in case someone else saw something fishy, but after a couple of times thoroughly looking it over, I believe I just caught it early and bearings were the only thing needing to be replaced!

Is the truck lifted or have non stock tires
Nope, just regular factory heights and tire sizes. I am probably not gonna upgrade those either. If it was 4 wheel drive, i would have upgraded in a heartbeat!

Want finicky? Try a GM corporate 10 bolt.
No Thank you, No Thank You, I definitely don't want anything that's more finicky! I honestly don't want to imagine something harder to rebuild! lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.