Stiff subs or unrealistic expectations?

Well i got her running and went to autozone, they told me i need a new alt and a new battery. I just don't see how, with MAYBE 20 min of play time this much damage could occur. I can only think the alt got fried when i jumped the car, but that still doesn't account for the dead battery. I don't see how this is going to work out...

Well i got her running and went to autozone, they told me i need a new alt and a new battery. I just don't see how, with MAYBE 20 min of play time this much damage could occur. I can only think the alt got fried when i jumped the car, but that still doesn't account for the dead battery. I don't see how this is going to work out...
I don't think you audio system is to blame on this one. Your amp shouldn't be drawing current when it's on, if it was, you'd still have the power light on the amp so it shouldn't be hard to tell. What is your remote on wire connected to?

the only other thing from what he said would be the ground regardless if the sub had a box or was played free air it would move... seems like the amp is being limited and the hu or amps wiring is to blame... and i don't know but when i went from to 2v to 4v it made a big difference... wonder if the amp is on low pass? but what do i know.... op, sorry for the wrong advice please refer to professionals opinions.... 

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

the only other thing from what he said would be the ground regardless if the sub had a box or was played free air it would move... seems like the amp is being limited and the hu or amps wiring is to blame... and i don't know but when i went from to 2v to 4v it made a big difference... wonder if the amp is on low pass? but what do i know.... op, sorry for the wrong advice please refer to professionals opinions....
Did you reset your gain with a dmm after switching to a higher HU voltage? I would imagine you didn't, which means your new setting are louder since you HU voltage increased, but it's no different than the result you would have gotten by turning the gains up a little higher on the old HU. All the HU's voltage does is get increased at the amp level, where you start has no effect on volume all that matters is how much power the subs see and that's on the output side of the amp not the input side. The gain is there for just that reason, to make the amp more or less effecient at increasing the voltage. (not effeciency in the normal sense here, just higher gains means less voltage in more voltage out, comparing to a lower gain setting.

To put it into perspective my ARC XXK amps which when they were new were very expensive (like arc SE series now) and are still well respected SQ amps. They only accept a 1volt signal from a preamp before clipping. Even using a 4volt HU, they've never clipped audibly, even with gains down so HU could go to 35 (max) and preamp clipping is generally easier to hear so if I was clipping the ouput of the HU and the amp input, it should have been very obvious and people with Pioneers have never reported a problem either. Just like with an amps output, unless your running 0db test tones, you'll never see the rated voltage from a HU source, 99% of the time you'll be well under 1 volt of power, even on a 8volt pioneer. Just some food for though. Pick a HU for it's other features, EQ ability, low pass, high pass, fully active capabilites, # of RCA outs, optical out, even the color before you pick it for it's voltage. It's a somewhat useless spec in most cases, but since it can be numerically defined, it's a easy thing to slap on a box and say "mines better than yours", marketing.

I don't think you audio system is to blame on this one. Your amp shouldn't be drawing current when it's on, if it was, you'd still have the power light on the amp so it shouldn't be hard to tell. What is your remote on wire connected to?
The back of my head unit, same power wire i connected to my factory amp. Blue with a white stripe or solid blue, i can't remember but i'm pretty sure it said rem turn on. The amp will turn on when the head unit turns on, and its off when the cars off since there's no light on it turned on when the car's off. The car worked fine 2 days ago, i put in my system now it doesn't work. Is there any way its shorting out on the chassis, or would that just cause a fire?

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Also, what do you think of this alt: Buy ToughOne Alternator - Remanufactured - 136 Amps 12394 at Advance Auto Parts

Did you reset your gain with a dmm after switching to a higher HU voltage? I would imagine you didn't, which means your new setting are louder since you HU voltage increased, but it's no different than the result you would have gotten by turning the gains up a little higher on the old HU. All the HU's voltage does is get increased at the amp level, where you start has no effect on volume all that matters is how much power the subs see and that's on the output side of the amp not the input side. The gain is there for just that reason, to make the amp more or less effecient at increasing the voltage. (not effeciency in the normal sense here, just higher gains means less voltage in more voltage out, comparing to a lower gain setting.
To put it into perspective my ARC XXK amps which when they were new were very expensive (like arc SE series now) and are still well respected SQ amps. They only accept a 1volt signal from a preamp before clipping. Even using a 4volt HU, they've never clipped audibly, even with gains down so HU could go to 35 (max) and preamp clipping is generally easier to hear so if I was clipping the ouput of the HU and the amp input, it should have been very obvious and people with Pioneers have never reported a problem either. Just like with an amps output, unless your running 0db test tones, you'll never see the rated voltage from a HU source, 99% of the time you'll be well under 1 volt of power, even on a 8volt pioneer. Just some food for though. Pick a HU for it's other features, EQ ability, low pass, high pass, fully active capabilites, # of RCA outs, optical out, even the color before you pick it for it's voltage. It's a somewhat useless spec in most cases, but since it can be numerically defined, it's a easy thing to slap on a box and say "mines better than yours", marketing.
thanks yeah the amp i was using was a arc se4000, don't remember if i reset after... but yeah that sounds about right, but why don't all amps except any kind of voltage, like my ab amps didn't like anything over five...

If your battery was old or in crappy condition....and you took a nice long time to do your install....

A weak or crappy battery can be hurt from discharging too far. A weak or old/worn alt can be damaged from trying to charge up that bad battery as well.

Now to your sub issue.....it sounds to me like you have one sub or coil out of phase.

Do us a favor and post a few pics of your install including pics of your battery. It will help a bit with the diag of your problem.

If your battery was old or in crappy condition....and you took a nice long time to do your install....A weak or crappy battery can be hurt from discharging too far. A weak or old/worn alt can be damaged from trying to charge up that bad battery as well.

Now to your sub issue.....it sounds to me like you have one sub or coil out of phase.

Do us a favor and post a few pics of your install including pics of your battery. It will help a bit with the diag of your problem.
Can't really figure out how to post pics. My batts a 3 year old autocraft gold, and i have a 12 year old stock alt. As for my sub wiring, I have one wire coming from each terminal, twisted together very tightly and taped to two other wires. These wire run to the positive and negative terminal on each sub, but a different coil on positive and a different coil on negative. Then i have the same terminals on each coil connected. It's wired in parallel, lol

Why didn't you just use a single run of wire instead of splicing?

Or like Side Show said, crimp connectors, also called butt connectors are like ten cents apiece at radio shack. I got a big kit of terminals and connectors like two years ago for like $30 and still haven't ran out of anything.

thanks yeah the amp i was using was a arc se4000, don't remember if i reset after... but yeah that sounds about right, but why don't all amps except any kind of voltage, like my ab amps didn't like anything over five...
The input stage of an amp can clip just like the output stage of another device. Just like anything else that handles electricity they have to build it with limits. A few volts tends to be enough to overcome the noise in the signal so the max for most amps is in the 6-8 volt range. Some higher, some lower. OP needs to redo his sub wiring and do it right, if these are DVC subs he could have the coils out of phase and that would be similar to the effect he's describing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.