Frequency Response

Participant count
  • Participant list

My current subs - placeholders I picked up on Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks - are a pair of 12" Polk db subs in a slot-ported box, powered by a Polk mono sub amp. They're, you know, whatever, fine for the money I spent, but it's time to aim a little higher, or, in this case, much lower: these drop off pretty hard around 40hz, and that's not really enough for me. They're also very boomy, and not accurate at all. My current plan, then, is a sealed box, obviously, to get the accuracy I'm missing, and a beefier amp to make up for the loudness I'll be losing.

But my focus beyond that is frequency response: I'm hoping to not start rolling off until 20hz or so. Any advice on subs and enclosures to achieve that [pretty reasonable, I think] kind of response?

Large ported box tuned low
My experience with ported boxes is that they're not particularly musical or accurate: that they're loud and boomy, but not that precise. I'm trying to get musical, precise, accurate, and full frequency response: do you think a large ported box tuned low can give me all those?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.