Step-by-step how to frost plexi

Symon_say
10+ year member

You can't get me
If you dont understand something i'm sorry cause english is not my native language

1. First you have to get the desing on the plexi, you always use the back of the plexi not the front so you have to get the desing backwards like a mirror, i did this printing the letters put then (letters looking to floor) on a glass top table then i use a lamp under the table to see thru the glass and with a pen or marker write it in the plexi.

You get this:

2. To frost theplexi i use my dremel with a grinding bit, just use the dremel like a pen to grind all the desing.

3. just put some light on one side, just in one, cause if you use more than one side it will not be iluminated.

And there you have a brand new desing for your car, home o anything you like, try to do it befero on any extra piece of plexi so you get practice and do a great job on your final project.

Thanks hope you do it, soon to your project, it's pretty easy this is the first time i use this, and not the last, i practice with a extra plexi i have on friday and do it on the real plexi on saturday.

Looks great!

Don't be worried about your English. Sadly, you type better than 98% of 13-19 year old kids who grew up speaking English as their first language. I applaud you for this.

can you use some type of chemical to get a similar effect?
my dremel hand isnt so steady...s

I have read that you can use some kind of paste of spary to do this, but is a little more dificult, cause you have to cover all the plexi with tape and cut your desing so the only thing without tape is the desing then you aply the pate or the spary following the instruction of the product and there you go.

In my country i cant find any of those product, so i prefer the tool metod, and you always can ask for your neigbor dremel :p, and you'll no take to much time doing this, i take about 1/2 hour.

can you use some type of chemical to get a similar effect?
my dremel hand isnt so steady...s
yeah, back when i was a kid i did a glass etching using a chemical treatment.

drew the outline onto some contact paper, cut it out with an x-acto knife, stuck it onto a mirror, and just smeared on the compound (hydroflouric acid i believe).

washed it off the next day and it was etched.

i'm sure something similar could be done with plexi-glass using a less abrasive compound. i'd check any craft store.

btw, to the op: your etching looks great!

EDIT: not sure how soft plexi is, but a lot of ipod users have used a brillo pad to give the back of their ipod a 'brushed steel' look.

a lot of them have even done a patern (using contact paper or similar) and it's turned out looking pretty cool.

not sure if that'd be rough enough to get the desired look on plexi, though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.