Starting over--new subs & mids

Participant count
  • Participant list

ksujeff99

Kansas
I just bought a new F-150 extended cab and am starting the stereo install soon. I left about half of my equipment in my last car but I salvaged what I believed to be the valuable parts.

Here is what I am starting with:

--Clarion Pro Audio 7770 head unit. circa 1994--no internal amplification, very clean, no screen saver, no weird colors, no friggin dolphins swimming, simple.

--Rockford Fosgate 4080. 4 channel, old style DSM , circa 1995

--Clarion 5x7 3 way coaxials

I'm looking at building a small (

I really like Fosgate's old DSM amps so I am thinking about getting a used 200 off eBay to power the 10" sub and leave the 4080 to run the 4 mid/highs in the factory locations.

My first question is which sub to buy. I'm looking at an original JL W6 or a Fosgate HX2. Both of which I believe can handle the extremely small enclosure I plan to run. Any opinions here? Other subs that can work well in a .75 CF enclosure? I do not care about SPL. I am much, much more interested in SQ. I've passed my SPL days and thankfully I still have a littler hearing left...

Secondly, for mids and highs I plan to throw the Clarion 5x7s in the rear factory speaker locations. I don't know what to do for the front however. I'm leaning toward a simple 5x7 plate with a 5 1/4 midbass and a 1" tweet. I am sure imaging would be slightly better with the tweeter remotely mounted in the windshield pillar but how much? Also, how difficult would it be to squeeze a 6" mid into a 5x7 speaker location? Would the sound from that 6" be significantly better than with a 5 1/4? Brand recommendations (yeah I know opinions are like ********...) for component sets on eBay? Yes I'm cheap and don't support my local economy...

Thanks for any advice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.