SSA Demon (10" & 12")

Again it does not have to do with how low the bass is but the response of the system and how a ported enclosure acts. Right now sealed my IDQ sound good on metal and roll off at 30 Hz. When I go ported they will have almost the same response but a little more output from 30 to 45. above that will be very similar to how they play now. 

Funny that this forum is the only one that seems to disagree with this thinking.
YeS I know that. For rock/heavy metal you tune higher, not lower.

I think your thinking mentallity of the situation is backwards. I'll wait until Jeff chimes in and see what he says about it. He's got more exp into it than I do.

yeah you can say all you want about musicality and stuff but as a true metal listener, you wont get any real kick drum impact tuned low otherwise you just dont like it loud.  Cabin gain smooths out the peaks pretty well and you want your peak higher not lower. Accuracy and group delay is still perfect so idk why the fk anyone would tune in the low 30s for metal. Theoretical graphs are far different from actual real world results when cabin gain comes into play.  What you can really expect from a low 30s tuned enclosure for metal is absolutely fking useless output for metal unless you listen to newer metal with actual drops reaching 40hz and under. otherwise kick drums have zero chest punch or gut wrenching impact like you would feel at a real metal concert.   Imagine you bought a subwoofer setup purely for metal kicks but the only time your subwoofer comes alive is when you play decaf ****. LOL.

That 43hz tuned 5.8ft3 Sa-15 setup I had was great on old-school rap and metal... nice box for output.

Lotsa impact right where it was needed. Certainly a keeper but I just wanted more.

Its all about goals Imo

YeS I know that. For rock/heavy metal you tune higher, not lower.

I think your thinking mentallity of the situation is backwards. I'll wait until Jeff chimes in and see what he says about it. He's got more exp into it than I do.
It's not backwards 1 octave above tuning the pressure in the port is equal to the pressure in the enclosure meaning there is no movement. So it is acting just like a sealed enclosure would. If you are only concerned with SPL then yes you can tune high but .....

It's not backwards 1 octave above tuning the pressure in the port is equal to the pressure in the enclosure meaning there is no movement. So it is acting just like a sealed enclosure would. If you are only concerned with SPL then yes you can tune high but .....
I think on limited cone and power if you want nice impact in your metal tuning accordingly is in order.

Working with a single 750 watt 12 on lets say... a 750 watt amp I'd probably recommend not only tuning a bit higher than 35hz, but also try to increase volume (within reason) if someone was looking for good impact in their response (loud metal type music).

I model-up all enclosures and keep goals in mind.

My .02

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn it to hell with all this  eqing I'm having to do....not really at all. Generally take care of things with crossover points and slopes and swl depending on type of music I'm listening to.

I couldn't agree more with what shredder said above. For me I  look for a certain amount of spl out of whatever enclosure  I plan to build. Too much my mids and highs won't keep up. Too little I'll be disappointed.  I don't mind spl at all but I'm with my system 12 plus hours a day so I generally go for sq with most of my builds.

As far as bloated response here or there to me anyway really depends on sub enclosure cabin gain filters etc. From my experience. Single 10 tuned to 42 Hz. Yeah people may look at me side ways but it worked great blending with the vehicle power and type of music.. Sounds just as good as my 15 @30. Not all subs or systems are created equal. Hell I'll be tuning a small 8 to 44 for my little shop. Don't really have to consider room gain models flat from tune to crossover point. Am I worried it'll sound bad. Hell no group delay is low low power efficient 105 db on 50 watts  a lot better than the 30 hz tune it's currently tuned at and im confident it'll sound better for that sub and my music

Anyway tune to match music taste and system. Saying ya can't get sq tuned high idk  hasn't been my experience anyway. I guess ya can keep arguing points but I'm not listening I'll just keep on keeping on

As far as the fella you are trying to convince I'm pretty sure his current set up is at 40hz pretty sure it was lower at some point if I remember right. Idk they all seem to blend together but I don't think he was complaining about it not really sure but he certainly didn't say anything about it sounding like trash. Maybe it did maybe he was to busy adjusting his eq to say anything about it idk.

Has nothing to do with port pressure. I never hard of that info before but keep on BS'ing...its quite entertaining.

Lol man this thread sure got hijacked with a lot of generalizations about tune. Smh.

I tune all my enclosures to 20hz so I can watch movies on my DVD player. 7" screen it's like I'm right there in the action ftw.
This thread was supposed to be about the SSA Demon, I know... lol.

But there's been some debate about desired tuning... My .02 with reasoning...

I personally feel when using a single sub on lower power and if the goals include Punchiness/nice impact/as visceral as possible, keeping-up with a strong Frontstage and a trunk install for the Substage ...

The tuning and volume are really important and should deliver extra (Bloated... lol) output where it's gonna be needed for a true Metalhead

Sealed should never even be considered in that ^^^^ scenario. If power and space is available for added cone like the pics above then yes sealed possibly but for max output I'd port them anyways, just me I guess...  :viking2: ... I'm kind of an output junkie, love Spl.

Example 1

3:1 4th tuned around 49hz 

a8CxDSQ.jpg

Fantastic Spl, punchiness, impact and output, peaky yes, kinda fell-off hard a little above tuning so my fronts were unable to fill the gap in response, but it had me grinnin'...  :toast:

Example 2

5.77ft3 net ported, tuned around 43hz

LOE2jHy.jpg

Great output for sure (maybe better than the 4th above ^^^^?... never metered either so Idk)... better extension than the 4th above. I'd put the useable extension in the mid 30's, but punchy?.. for sure, blended best with my Frontstage... great on most metal and old-school rap...  :peace:

Example 3

Same Sa-15 as the others but in 3.85ft3 net ported tuned 33.5hz

f07JXfl.jpg

Less visceral impact, flatter response with extension into the mid 20's... I kept this enclosure in there about 4 months mainly due to time/cost and I'll admit laziness. Sounded fine, went low and all but compared to the other, later enclosures (this was the 1st one built btw) it always left me looking for more Spl/impact. 

All were using the same driver, amp/load and same vehicle... I'm 52yrs old, love it loud and consider myself an Old-school rocker/Metalhead so my opinions may be subjective but I'm taking the objective approach when typing this response. Lotsa internet warriors have strong opinions, will try to blind you with minutiae, or reference some crap. They just subjectively advise people to either tune low cause they heard it was better, have a low-tuned setup with lotsa power/added cone or just don't know any better... idk 

One has to look at the whole picture when giving advice... limited cone, lower power and impact as a goal with a "trunk installed single 12?"... gimme a break... tune low?.. lol

I'd tune in the hi-30's at least, use an Aero, adjust volume for output... etc... every trick in the book.

That Sa-15 with every enclosure pictured was nice... but to this Metalhead... it wasn't ever enough

Guess I'm just never gonna be too active over there on Diyma.

time/cost 

time/cost is never on my side.

i joined diyma once. That happens to be how many times I was active there.
Kinda like the sa 15 in the 3.5 @ 30 box. Just not enough to keep it. It's on cl at the moment. Trying to downsize a little. It's great on new rap. Too bad I don't like new rap. I've got another sa when I get the time I'm sure I'll be going  to a higher tune.
Maybe 2zre should tune the demon at its fs like checkers did with his image Dynamics sub. Wonder if that'd be ok?😃. Yeah at any rate if he listens to mostly metal I'd be willing to bet he'd be a little dissatisfied with it at 30 considering his set up..

Man that beer don"t look too bad. Thinking it's close enough to beer 30

I kinda want a rear fire slot box this time instead of round pvc. Don't have a router to route the port ends. Building with only a jigsaw kinda *****. Live in an apartment so I like to be a good neighbor and not make noise and it's messy so the cramped bathroom is the easiest place to clean up no carpet. Any box builders need work? 

I kinda want a rear fire slot box this time instead of round pvc. Don't have a router to route the port ends. Building with only a jigsaw kinda *****. Live in an apartment so I like to be a good neighbor and not make noise and it's messy so the cramped bathroom is the easiest place to clean up no carpet. Any box builders need work? 
Get a 9x12 drop cloth from Home Depot for $1. Ive built a handful of boxes in apartments. Screw the neighbors, what I do in my own time during business hours is none of their business. 

Most dont know a single thing about subwoofer enclosure design, cabin gain etc... dumbasses think sealed boxes are the all to end all or low tuned ported boxes.  All their in car responses measures out not flat at all and they overly rely on EQ cuts to flatten out by the end of it, their output is complete trash then they claim that its a good blend between their doors and subs or they say anything louder is not SQ... LOL the f**k if thats the case stick with your stock system, its the same amount of bass as your current 2000 dollar setup with a subwoofer lmfao. Several months later they make a thread about switching subs for more output. They got their heads soo far up their asses to see or understand anything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.