SQ on a tight budget

Antik_one

I have an 07 legacy sedan. I was gifted a RF punch P2 12. We aren't sure if it is a 2 or 4 ohm vc yet. I have committed to the idea of sound deadening the doors and trunk. I plan on running a 400 watt amp and building a custom ported box tuned fairly low as I listen to mostly drum'n bass, techno, and reggae. I'm curious as to what head units (double din) you recommend for SQ with a decent amount of EQ ability and amp suggestions for the sub. I'm considering jbl GTO 6.5", but am open to suggestions there. Also will an amp for the components be absolutely necessary? I appreciate any input you folks have.

I have an 07 legacy sedan. I was gifted a RF punch P2 12. We aren't sure if it is a 2 or 4 ohm vc yet. I have committed to the idea of sound deadening the doors and trunk. I plan on running a 400 watt amp and building a custom ported box tuned fairly low as I listen to mostly drum'n bass, techno, and reggae. I'm curious as to what head units (double din) you recommend for SQ with a decent amount of EQ ability and amp suggestions for the sub. I'm considering jbl GTO 6.5", but am open to suggestions there. Also will an amp for the components be absolutely necessary? I appreciate any input you folks have.
without a dollar figure we have nothing to go with bro. as for head units pioneer avh 2700/2800bs double dins have 13 band EQs, Time alignment, active network crossovers and both are under 210 dollars on amazon. If you get that head unit, you can get a set of raw drivers that will outperform cheap component sets. The SQ on a budget build is usually vifa(or tymphany) XT 25 tweeters with silverflute 6.5s for midbass. You just need a 4 channel amp and all the crossovers will be done on the head unit.

If you are on a budget, Get a 5 channel amp instead since your subwoofer stage is very small and doesnt need a dedicated monoblock. Will shave some costs off your budget not only from the amps but also the power and ground wiring needed.

Also Your idea for a low tuned box is horrible. All the genres you named have 37hz to 80hz information, not much in the 30hz range so tuning that low will make your sub not hit the way you'd want it to or rather, weak in the frequencies that you'll actually play.

The new Pioneer double dins have network mode (to run active) and are pretty cheap. They're probably your best bet in that department. If you run active it allows you to go with raw drivers which allows a better bang for your buck.

Like Jeff said though with out a budget we wouldn't even know where to begin with suggestions for your mid/tweet/amp.

Sorry, forgot that detail. I'd like to stay under $700 if possible excluding sound deadening and box. I'll be getting parts over time and doing the install all at once. I'll probably get the head unit last in the event it takes so long new models come out. Ohhh, doors fit 6.5" with separates in the front (tweeters near the pillar in the door).

Sorry, forgot that detail. I'd like to stay under $700 if possible excluding sound deadening and box. I'll be getting parts over time and doing the install all at once. I'll probably get the head unit last in the event it takes so long new models come out. Ohhh, doors fit 6.5" with separates in the front (tweeters near the pillar in the door).
head unit

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-X2800BS-Receiver-Bluetooth-SiriusXM-Ready/dp/B017LKVCIK

two of these

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/silver-flute-woofers-6-7/silver-flute-w17rc38-04-ohm-6-1/2-wool-cone/

two of these

Peerless by Tymphany XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter

this amp

Precision Power PPI i640.5 iON 640W 5-Channel Class-D Amplifier

Deadener

https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-RKX36B-Roadkill-Damping-Material/dp/B001HHP59G.

I'd say just get a sealed box for now, do custom enclosure later when you have a real sub. If you do want to get a proper box for that sub STAY away from ported and go with a Transmission line box like this, Its 100000x Better for sound quality and the music choices you listen to and you'll get much louder as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.