SQ mids

Participant count
  • Participant list

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Ohio
Hey I'm looking for suggestions on some mids for my Jeep. 3 way active up front, currently 6.5 midbass, 2.5 mids and pod mounted tweets. Currently I'm running these morels

Have them bandpassed 500-5000. They sound a little harsh, and I've found that I can't push them as hard as I need to for those stand out guitar solos and certain vocals. Once I get them to a certain level they start to crackle a bit on me. I'm looking for super detailed mids. I can put a 3.5 in there as is, I could probably modify the dash for 4 inch if need be. Considering the Focal 3.5wm, or possibly GB40's if it is truly worth modifying the dash. I'm hoping a slightly larger speaker might give me a more smooth substantial sound. What do you guys recommend?

Audiofrog GS25's or if ya got deep pockets the GB25's.....im currently runnin the GS's in a 3 way active setup 300-4000...so smooth, but it all really comes down to proper tuning and location

I looked into the GB25s, but two issues for me there. After my current 2.5s I don't feel it is a large enough speaker to effectively play the range I'm looking at with high volume and not be harsh. Perhaps I'm wrong on that, I don't have a huge amount of experience with 2.5s. The second issue is that those speakers were created to be run in pillar pods, more of a sealed enclosure. I'll be running these free air in my dash. As for my pockets, I'd prefer to stay under a grand for the pair

Audiofrog GS25's or if ya got deep pockets the GB25's.....im currently runnin the GS's in a 3 way active setup 300-4000...so smooth, but it all really comes down to proper tuning and location

x2. I think the OP's locations are an issue, but it's not his fault, it's just the nature of his vehicle.

I think you should strongly consider pods or something for your speakers. I really think you need to aim your speakers, somewhat manipulate the way they "fire" at you or in the cabin, so the sound presents itself properly to your ears. Frequencies have angles, and if you don't have line of sight, so to speak, to your ears within the angle of sound from any speaker, then it's not going to sound as good. You can get weird reverberations and peaks from that. Like if your mids are aimed at a wall, when that sound hits the wall, it scatters and can cause weird sound peaks, possible harshness. I would really consider it, especially if you can do fiberglass work.

x2. I think the OP's locations are an issue, but it's not his fault, it's just the nature of his vehicle.

I think you should strongly consider pods or something for your speakers. I really think you need to aim your speakers, somewhat manipulate the way they "fire" at you or in the cabin, so the sound presents itself properly to your ears. Frequencies have angles, and if you don't have line of sight, so to speak, to your ears within the angle of sound from any speaker, then it's not going to sound as good. You can get weird reverberations and peaks from that. Like if your mids are aimed at a wall, when that sound hits the wall, it scatters and can cause weird sound peaks, possible harshness. I would really consider it, especially if you can do fiberglass work.

Lol way ahead of you on that front, but totally agree. I'm going to attempt custom A-pillars, but I have to pull the plastic to see what's behind it first. There's grab handles there which im assuming have steel behind them, hopefully it's bolted and not formed or welded.

Lol way ahead of you on that front, but totally agree. I'm going to attempt custom A-pillars, but I have to pull the plastic to see what's behind it first. There's grab handles there which im assuming have steel behind them, hopefully it's bolted and not formed or welded.

Sick!!! Send me pics.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...