SQ Hatchback Setup... Please Help!

Souljah8574
10+ year member

I have a 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback and I'm looking to install a single SQ sub preferrably a 12 because I want a sub that'll hit the lows really well. I used to have a 10" W6 which I was satisfied with except it didn't hit all the lower notes the way I wanted it to. The current sub that I'm looking at are either a 12" W3 or the RE SE. I'm looking to spend no more than $300 on the sub because I'm going to need to purchase an amp to push it and also get a box built. The reason for making this thread is to get you folks' opinion on the subs that I've mentioned and to look at any other suggestions that you may have.

For reference, the sub is going to be complimenting a pair of PPI 356cs's for the front stage seeing about 120w per side. I'm going for SQ and don't really care about being heard coming down the block. Would like a sub that sounds good whether in a ported or sealed enclosure and I have about 2.5 cubic feet to work with.

Thanks in advance!

I have a 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback and I'm looking to install a single SQ sub preferrably a 12 because I want a sub that'll hit the lows really well. I used to have a 10" W6 which I was satisfied with except it didn't hit all the lower notes the way I wanted it to. The current sub that I'm looking at are either a 12" W3 or the RE SE. I'm looking to spend no more than $300 on the sub because I'm going to need to purchase an amp to push it and also get a box built. The reason for making this thread is to get you folks' opinion on the subs that I've mentioned and to look at any other suggestions that you may have.
For reference, the sub is going to be complimenting a pair of PPI 356cs's for the front stage seeing about 120w per side. I'm going for SQ and don't really care about being heard coming down the block. Would like a sub that sounds good whether in a ported or sealed enclosure and I have about 2.5 cubic feet to work with.

Thanks in advance!
What amp was on the W6? Box volume/design?

The W6 is generally regarded as a very good SQ sub. The W3 is a step down from that. If anything, I would suggest throwing a second W6 10" in there.

Any sealed box will get you loud bass in a hatch, I use to have a RF punch stage 2 in a truck box with 200 watts going to it. Sounded pretty good and was loud enough for me. I rely doubt you need a 12 nor a ported box. I would recommend the Image Dynamics Q sub maybe in the 12 for lower bass as you said.

The W6 was in the JL High Output box seeing about 600 watts RMS. It was in the trunk of an 2001 Honda Civic but some dudes broke in and stole it so I'm starting from square one.

Any sealed box will get you loud bass in a hatch, I use to have a RF punch stage 2 in a truck box with 200 watts going to it. Sounded pretty good and was loud enough for me. I rely doubt you need a 12 nor a ported box. I would recommend the Image Dynamics Q sub maybe in the 12 for lower bass as you said.
he didnt say he wanted to get loud.

I'd suggest an IDQ12V2 in a ~1ft3 sealed enclosure. Last I saw, Woofersetc was selling the drivers for $150.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.