Spooney's latest box build

Spooney
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Nothing fancy here folks. Just a simple slot ported box for two Skar VVX-10's made out of 3/4 inch birch. Specs are 2.5 cubic feet tuned to 32 hz. Here are a few pics of the build:

All Panels Cut:

1338334490.jpg

Getting Started:

1338334492.jpg

Port Length and End Cap Going Together:

1338334493.jpg

Baffle Brace Going In:

1338334496.jpg

End Cap and Port Length Installed:

1338334755.jpg

Top Going On:

1338334749.jpg

Last Piece Installed:

1338334754.jpg

At this point I just need to cut some holes for the subs and get a terminal cup installed so I can give it a listen before deciding whether or not to finish her up. If it sounds like I want I am thinking of filling all of the screw holes with a good wood filler and laying down a stain of some sort.

Nothing fancy here folks. Just a simple slot ported box for two Skar VVX-10's made out of 3/4 inch birch. Specs are 2.5 cubic feet tuned to 32 hz. Here are a few pics of the build:
All Panels Cut:

1338334490.jpg

Getting Started:

1338334492.jpg

Port Length and End Cap Going Together:

1338334493.jpg

Baffle Brace Going In:

1338334496.jpg

End Cap and Port Length Installed:

1338334755.jpg

Top Going On:

1338334749.jpg

Last Piece Installed:

1338334754.jpg

At this point I just need to cut some holes for the subs and get a terminal cup installed so I can give it a listen before deciding whether or not to finish her up. If it sounds like I want I am thinking of filling all of the screw hole with w good wood filler and laying down a stain of some sort.
what type of birch is that? and where did you buy it also what was the price of the birch?

Sweet build, my question is what did you use that Rubber mallet for?
Needed a little extra motivation to get a panel flush with the other edge LOL. Cuts were pretty straight but the sheet of wood I got had a warp in it here and there that I did not notice at the store. Had to get creative to work some of that out.

what type of birch is that? and where did you buy it also what was the price of the birch?
Not entirely sure. I bought it at Lowes and it cost me about 43 dollars for a 4x8 sheet. Sticker on the wood says 3/4 cabinet grade birch plywood

Man that birch looks much nicer than mdf..Looks good man..Thats not finished, and still looks better than anything Ive ever built..LOL..Birch is quite a bit more expensive here compared to mdf,,how much of cost diff?

Needed a little extra motivation to get a panel flush with the other edge LOL. Cuts were pretty straight but the sheet of wood I got had a warp in it here and there that I did not notice at the store. Had to get creative to work some of that out.
With your saw, do you draw a line from end to end and use the guide on the saw to follow the line? or do you use a panel of wood/saw track to make them straight?

Not entirely sure. I bought it at Lowes and it cost me about 43 dollars for a 4x8 sheet. Sticker on the wood says 3/4 cabinet grade birch plywood
ok thanks i`m going to build me a new box for my subs and i know birch is lighter then mdf and that will benefit me just fine.

Man that birch looks much nicer than mdf..Looks good man..Thats not finished, and still looks better than anything Ive ever built..LOL..Birch is quite a bit more expensive here compared to mdf,,how much of cost diff?
30 bucks for mdf and 43 for birch here

With your saw, do you draw a line from end to end and use the guide on the saw to follow the line? or do you use a panel of wood/saw track to make them straight?
I have a long piece of trim I use as a straight edge that I clamp right down onto the piece of wood I am cutting with some c clamps. Some careful measuring usually gets me some very accurate cuts

I have a long piece of trim I use as a straight edge that I clamp right down onto the piece of wood I am cutting with some c clamps. Some careful measuring usually gets me some very accurate cuts
is there a certain type of saw-blade that you have to use to cut birch? i never used birch before it will be my first time lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.