SPL with a single 8" Sub... More sound with less.

You don't HAVE to, but I promise you wil //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Can't comment on build quality without seeing the sub. It should be easy to figure out if the coil is misaligned or a glue joint is separating.

I'm just saying SPL is potentially putting himself in a position for it to come in question.... Really the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title was (I hope OP knows how to recone).
Im very hands on and I build boxes more than just a couple side jobs.I have never attempted a recone however that was my original request is to recone the sub myself with the parts from spl audio. He didnt want to do that either so I sent him the sub and this is what I ended up with.

a adapter plate had to be made to fit the 8" basket. you told me 800rms is all the sub will see.

.5-.6 net is perfect for that sub.

nobody is going to start from scratch and do a 39.9 with a single 8" and 2k and not need recones that would be asking for wayyyyy to much,lol.

when in competition recones are the name of the game they are wear items,lol.

guess i cant do anything to make customer happy, ***** to say but looks like i gotta have 1 unhappy customer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wallbash.gif.1310150c49dd52e0fbe1813a0681e5c3.gif

a adapter plate had to be made to fit the 8" basket. you told me 800rms is all the sub will see. .5-.6 net is perfect for that sub.

nobody is going to start from scratch and do a 39.9 with a single 8" and 2k and not need recones that would be asking for wayyyyy to much,lol.

when in competition recones are the name of the game they are wear items,lol.

guess i cant do anything to make customer happy, ***** to say but looks like i gotta have 1 unhappy customer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wallbash.gif.1310150c49dd52e0fbe1813a0681e5c3.gif
Hahaha, so now your just playing it off and you joke about having one unhappy customer? Sounds like the proper way to do business. I never once said 800 rms is all the sub is going to see. I told you the application. I told you what I needed, You said you could build it and clearly you couldnt. Id like my money back to be honest. Hell Ill ship you the motor and you can keep the piece of **** as long as I get my money back. And you continue to put words in my mouth saying I was only going to put 800rms on it. Shall I search through my pm's? Id be glad to start a new thread explaining your assbackwards way of doing business.

i asked you what i could do to help. would have knocked ya out a recone at cost but with all this bashing, but still will caus i dont like any unhappy customers.

i asked you what i could do to help. would have knocked ya out a recone at cost but with all this bashing, but still will caus i dont like any unhappy customers.
Problem is I dont want a sub thatll only take the power that this one is. A recone isnt going to do any good because regardless the sub wasnt built originally for what I needed.

well talk to me more i can do more with the sub.

i would be willing to take the sub in and build it to handle more mechy power along more throw.

now send the sub in i will build and send back out no charge until after you play it. then if ur happy send me another $90.

hows that for caring about my customers. all my customers i take care of!!!

Hmm, gains not set properly. Always causes trouble, especially with the varying bitrates of cds and mp3s these days. I always cringe when I hear "gain set to half..." if I set my gain to "half" my amp would catch on fire from clipping the hell out of it, just saying.

Full mech is almost always a sign of distortion/clipping. Set gains with a dmm or o-scope then get back to us

Hmm, gains not set properly. Always causes trouble, especially with the varying bitrates of cds and mp3s these days. I always cringe when I hear "gain set to half..." if I set my gain to "half" my amp would catch on fire from clipping the hell out of it, just saying.
Full mech is almost always a sign of distortion/clipping. Set gains with a dmm or o-scope then get back to us
If I set my gain any lower id literally end up with no volume, my volume only goes to 35, and the amp at 4 ohm has minor distortion passed 29 and normal playing level is 27 without the sub heating up or any distortion is heard. Trust me, the subs right behind me and I check for heat constantly, if I was clipping the hell out of it the coil would heat up as well in most cases. And the coil is cool as can be whenever i install this sub. Im telling you, its not a gain issue especially because the volume isnt near full power ever on 1 ohm because the sub makes mechanical noise at volume 21-22 depending on frequency/punchy notes. And I havent set it up with a dmm because thats not exactly a very effective way of doing it. I also dont have access to a o-scope otherwise I would be using this method.

i'll let you know... i just picked up the new Cadence S2W8... really nice.!
If I had been intelligent and not had spl build me the sub he did id be running two of them now. You should post some pics! I love my CVL 8, best 70 bucks I ever spent. Will be buying 2 of those as soon as funds allow.

I think the problem with the new sub is that the coil is too long, I personally think the motor is just over driving the soft parts forcing the coil too far up/down I think if the coil had been shorter then the sub wouldn't reach its mech. limits as quickly but im just guessing. I dont build subs(yet) so im unsure. I cant see a single problem with the sub and it doesnt seem like the spider landing is unglued. Im just sick of the blame being put on me because the sub has had mechanical noise since I got it and SPL only gave it 600rms in his bench test and told me through pm's itd take 1000rms which clearly is a problem if you dont test the actual power your rating the sub at.

BTW: I do give credit to SPL audios work, I have seen many of his subs (not in person but on here) and he seems to do great work. Im just saying every once in a while a mistake is made or something isn't built exactly the way it should be (which I can understand with a custom sub). My problem is when you blame the customer and offer no help fixing the issue other than charging for another recone. Had I known a higher excursion 8" could have been built I would have had it done, I wasnt given the option and I personally thought this was going to be a high excursion 8". Im not out to get him in any way, I just want a resolution that benefits us both. Sorry if I came off as a jacka$$ but I was just upset when words were being put in my mouth. I would prefer if me and SPLaudio could further discuss in PM's as a public bitch fest isnt going to get either of us anywhere.

luminator, im just wondering if you have ever clamped that 20.1? i can just about promise you it will put out well more than the 1800 its rated for at 1 ohm, which you have it wired to on the custom 8.

what input voltage are you showing the amp (or have you checked it) and where exactly do you have the amp set.

i have seen nowhere in this thread that you have said that you can say the true power going to the 8.

and we have collectively broke a couple of SPL's subs and he has always made it right for us.

luminator, im just wondering if you have ever clamped that 20.1? i can just about promise you it will put out well more than the 1800 its rated for at 1 ohm, which you have it wired to on the custom 8.
what input voltage are you showing the amp (or have you checked it) and where exactly do you have the amp set.

i have seen nowhere in this thread that you have said that you can say the true power going to the 8.

and we have collectively broke a couple of SPL's subs and he has always made it right for us.
I dont actually know. I dont have a clamp meter. Nor do I care, the sub was supposed to be built to take the full power from the amp for burps and 1000rms. Which it never saw full power from the amp in a burp because at volume 21-22 its always made mechy noise no matter the enclosure. And the coil is rated for 1000rms, wouldnt the coil heat up if I was running more than lets say 1200 rms to the sub? YES.

And Yes im am well aware if I had a back up batt, and 2 runs of 2/0 (only have power run as of now) then yes this amp will easily do 2k+ at half ohm nominal. However im not at half ohm, I dont have a 2nd battery, and I dont have a dedicated ground. The reason why I said this sub hasnt seen full power from the amp is because I wouldnt run the amp at full power with the current electrical setup. I wouldnt trust it. Period. Is there anything else I can clear up on my side? Because im pretty sure ive walked through my entire setup about 5 times in this thread so far just to clear my name and it still hasnt worked apparently... Should I mention Im not a fuckin retard? I built a wall with 4 15's on 2 20.1's with 3 batts 2 years ago, im am well aware of what the amps are capable of and im not your average noob on here.

Proof:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPP48EWVHLQ

Had someone not hit me id still have that car and be bassracing a 149.9, unfortunately the car was totaled and due to having to buy a new car I had to sell the majority of my equipment. Hence why im trying to do a 139.9 bassrace for SBN. Would have been cool to say SPLaudio built me the custom sub to get me there but unfortunately it doesnt look like that is going to happen...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.