speakers popping / crackle at high volume.

ATREND - 12"lsv Single Ported Subwoofer Enclosure

Would my boss phantom 2300w 12inch with my boss 1100w amplifier work well in my 2005 for focus

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

i don't remember the seller and yes passive crosovers
Your passive XOs might be dying. Get a multimeter and test your speakers. There's plenty of videos on youtube to show your how. Next time; go active.

ATREND - 12"lsv Single Ported Subwoofer Enclosure
Would my boss phantom 2300w 12inch with my boss 1100w amplifier work well in my 2005 for focus

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Nothing that has the name Boss on it will work good. Nothing but junk from a company that lies to its customers.

Start a new thread instead of cluttering up someone elses.

Your passive XOs might be dying. Get a multimeter and test your speakers. There's plenty of videos on youtube to show your how. Next time; go active.
so active is just running from amps xover to speaker. got it. But that means a lot more amps. one for tweet one for mid one for sub. In a small tacoma xcab wow. I have them under seat now and they barley fit. Maybe some D amps smaller will fit better.

Make sure your only using one set of active crossovers for the speakers ..either use decks or amps set the others to flat ..crossover over lapping can cause the pops your referring to ..
one set. I have 4 corners in this tacoma xcab and each corner has it own component speaker with one xover. running from a 4 ch amp. the Pioneer HU has 6 RCA front, back, sub, and they are all separated

If the speakers are popping and cracking at high volumes they are being over driven. Either too much EQ or gain is too high.
i said i turned down the gain a little already and upped the xover already to lessen the introduction of lower frequencies

Ok good news everyone. I think i got it fixed. This morning i finished the install with the new Polk Audio components speakers. front has Polk 6501 6.5 and rear has Polk 5251 5.25. I took everyone's advise that posted here, I thank you:D

I turned down the the gain a little more and adjusted the Xovers to get it just right. And i turned it up. loud but no popping. I looked over my wiring to make sure nothing was bad. it was all good.

turned on some hard rock and turned it up sounded good. Also went though my music collection to rock, rap, techno, country, pop so on and it all sounded good at high volume.

I did look over the old CDT component speakers that came out and they looked to me tired. What does tired look like. well the cones were very loose and moved very easy with just little taps. The cone material looked faded and warn and the inside part (don't know what they call it) that covers between the magnet and cone. That looked faded and old. I made a conclusion to me that the speakers must of been the problem. They were working very hard last few years at the 2 ohm load and the higher power the amp puts out do to the 2 ohm load. I know the new Polk speakers i just installed the cones where tight and fresh and new. I also know now the Polk speakers are a 2.7 ohm speakers. yes i had the PG amps running at fairly high volume for about 30 min or so and the amp was hot. did not shut down but, the other PG amp for subs was warm. These PG amps have a very small fan built into the amp but, this amp was still hot. I have to conclude that running a 2 ohm speakers makes the amp make more power but also makes more heat. In future i will have to install some 4 ohm speakers instead. That may help. I drive a lot so i will see how they hold up amp and speakers.

The new Polk Audio subs 8" sound good in the old school kicker substation tubes boxes. Man i wish kicker or someone else would reproduce those tubes again, they were the best. hard to find now but i am always looking to pick them up when i find them on ebay. I need some extra back ups. I have loved them from day one. And i replaced the old subs with the new Polk 8" SVC subs. I have 2 of them in the back xcab area. Lot of bass for sure. I had to turn it down because it just over powered the other sounds. I like a nice balance to my music. Not this boom boom car that you hear drive by with no mid or high sounds , just boom booom.

This PG RX 400.4 amp i was told by Stephen Mantz (ZED) it a pretty good decent amp by Phoenix Gold. He has designed some of there newer SX lines few years ago he said. But for now i am happy and the system sounds good.

Thanks again all who contributed to help on this post. I will certainly be back again if i run into any more issues. But i have to say i should not just come to this Car Audio.com web page just for help. I fined many good things to read about and learn in car audio .com web site. And everyone to the most part are cool and nice. A few can be jerks. but most are cool and nice to me.

Thanks

Stephanie

Hello everyone

Ok i wanted to post an update. Last time i said i finished the 2 amp install with the Polk speakers.

But now i am experiencing ear fatigue. That week i finished the install i had to drive about 230 miles to a project i spent 4 days on and then back home. That 3 of so hours of drive time, wow the highs sounded harsh. I do not remember having that issue with the CDT tweeters on old speakers. I remember setting the Polk xovers to 0db. there is a -3db setting also. I wonder if that would help? Or maybe someone has a answer why they sound harsh. I have heard that different brands have harsh sounding tweeters. The old CDT sounded normal or should i say soft tweeter sounding.

I have to say i like to hear the highs in a song or sound system and not have the sound sounding like a old worn out cassette tape. If you go back in years you would remember when the cassette tape would get worn out and the first thing to go was the highs. That was one reason i did not like the CDT xovers. They had the tweeter protection on there that cut the highs on high volume.

So last weekend i messed again with the gain and the xover on the 2 amps and also adjusted the fade from back to front on the gain. I got it to sound a little better but still not 100% happy. They will do for now.

Some have posted that they have the same Polk speakers. What have your experiences been ?

Now i have to say i jumped the gun and spilled my money on a new amp i said i wanted. I said i eventually wanted to go all high Def sound system. Well I got the new Kenwood 4 ch XR401-4

hi res amp for my mid & tweeters. I also found the older XR400-4. It was a factory refurb by Kenwood XR400-4 for only $129 that i will use on my subs in bridge mode till i can get a new XR401-4 hi res for subs. These 2 amps are very similar but the hi res XR401-4 has extra high quality parts inside and design for the hi res capability. I have seen some reviews, but not many on these 2 amps and the have been good. Memorial weekend i installed the 2 PG amps and they are AB amps and they are big amps. I barely got them to fit under my 2 seats. The 2 Kenwood amps are D amps and much smaller to fit. So i will try to make time this weekend to install them.

Then i have to start thinking about some new component hi def speakers. I saw the new top of the line Kenwood hi def speakers but have not read any reviews on them. They around $500.

I also researched and read about the new Pioneer Z speakers that are Hi def certified, they are designed in the famous research lab they have in Tendo Japan. The research lab say they still make speakers by hand. Great quality. Pioneer TS-Z65CH 6.5 component speakers. They are Hi Def certified and can be had for under $300.

So, any comments or help on my issues please post it. Please don't post if you are a hater or have a nasty or rude comment. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.