Speakers cutting out/distorting when bass hits.

Participant count
  • Participants list

SundownSydrome
10+ year member

Kenwood DDX470

Hifonics BRX640.4 > Infinity 6030cs (F) / Infinity 6829cf ®

Hifonics BRX1600.1D > 2x Sundown SA-10

KnuKonceptz KCA 1/0

640CCA/800CA battery, just replaced a couple of months ago.

Let me first start off by saying this just started occurring randomly, which makes this all the more frustrating to diagnose. My setup has not changed in 2 years, and has given me zero problems in the past.

Yesterday my speakers randomly decided to start cutting out/distorting whenever the bass would hit. Nothing changed at all between it working and not working. I was blasting it on a long drive as I always do and whenever the volume was higher and the bass would hit, the speakers would get all choppy.

Things I've learned:

There's no issue with the speakers themselves.

It only happens when there's a lot of bass.

The amps are not restarting or going into protect.

The crossovers are fine.

All connections are solid.

All fuses are good.

This happens with Bluetooth, CDs, etc.

I did get to testing my voltages, and I would like to start off with saying that I am aware that I am taxing my electrical system, save the lecture for another day.

The absolute lowest I saw my voltage dip was 11.8v at the amp, however the speaker issue would have even with voltages around 13v or so. To me this indicates that perhaps my amp or even headunit could have an issue.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Does it happen on low volume or high volume?

Your starving your electrical....you say save the lecture but people don't understand when adding audio to an existing vehicle the battery/alt and wires can only handle so much before straining it. I don't get why people add audio then completely ignore the electrical part....one of the most important aspects of car audio. You need power to make power.

Does it happen on low volume or high volume?
Your starving your electrical....you say save the lecture but people don't understand when adding audio to an existing vehicle the battery/alt and wires can only handle so much before straining it. I don't get why people add audio then completely ignore the electrical part....one of the most important aspects of car audio. You need power to make power.
I said save the lecture because this happened suddenly. There was no gradual degradation in quality. It worked, and then it didn't. The issue happens with good voltages as well. I'm looking for an explanation to that specifically.

I'm well aware I'm straining my system, as mentioned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.