Speaker wiring question

Hey guys,

I'm about to wire in 75w rms speakers. They are being amped by a 4 channel amp in the trunk. Originally I was going to run 14 gauge speaker wire the whole way. But I fear running new wires through my door grommets will be a bit of a pain.. Would it make a difference if I left the front speakers wired with factory gauge wire until the head unit. Then ran 14 gauge from the head unit to the amp?

Thank you

what do u mean from the HU to the amp, won't u want to run the speaker wire directly from the speakers to the amp, b/c ur RCA's will run from the HU to amp, 16ga should be fine if those fit

Yeah sorry to clarify. Because running the wire directly from the speaker to the amp will be a pretty big pain, from what I see. (Note: i'm only talking about the front speakers) I was thinking of just installing them using the factory speaker wire. Then when the wire comes to the hardness just before the HU i'll pick up the connection there and finish the amp.

Yeah sorry to clarify. Because running the wire directly from the speaker to the amp will be a pretty big pain, from what I see. (Note: i'm only talking about the front speakers) I was thinking of just installing them using the factory speaker wire. Then when the wire comes to the hardness just before the HU i'll pick up the connection there and finish the amp.
Yeah you can use the factory wire no prob. Make it easy on yourself.

I read somewhere recently that as long as your running a hundred watts or less through the factory wiring, it won't need to be upgraded. If you are running over a hundred watts RMS, then you'll want to run new wiring to the speakers.

This is a point that gets lost by lots of people. Now, I am not an expert on this, but, if you get new wire just make sure it is 100% copper wire. Most wire out there now is copper clad aluminum which offers much more resistance than copper. Apparently the cost of copper has risen so much that most wire is using aluminum to keep it affordable. But, to get the most out of the signal that is being output, use copper.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.