Speaker recommendations for truck???

Dustin1706

Canada
Hey All,

I've had some serious systems in the past, but am running a sad setup right now. I have an 06 Dodge 2500 MegaCab. It has the infinity 7 speaker setup but it's pretty awful and two speakers are starting to buzz a bit.

I upgraded my headunit to a nice kenwood nav unit (DNX9140) a while back but left the factory speakers and amp. I would love to have a sub but can't have one as I am not willing to sacrifice any space. On a regular basis I use the toolboxes behind the rear seat, store rifles behind the rear seat, and fold the rear seat down for large cargo. This eliminates under or behind the rear seats. I have an inverter under the DS seat and will put an amp under the PS seat, so the amp needs to have a relatively small footprint.

I plan to use a 4 channel amp and will be putting 6.5 coax in the rear doors and then either 6x9 coax in the front doors with tweets in the dash OR 6x9 coax with 3.5s in the dash powered from the head unit. Not looking to mod any panels.

I've been looking around a bit and had semi settled on an Alpine PDX-4 amp and either Alpine SPR or Polk MM coax speakers and whatever 3.5" speakers I find. I will also deaden the doors while I have the panels off.

I haven't been up on speakers in a long time so I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

you'll want to have the dash 3.5's on an amp channel since they will be most of what you hear. give them the most attention. at that point, the front doors are more important than the rears. if you run anything off the head unit, it should be the rears. use the 4 channel for the front speakers.

I have 03 dodge 3500 drw dually I built a fiberglass box under the seats for 2 alpine s 12d4 subs Now I have seen 2 setups but never heard them so don't know how good the sound. A friend of my took of the rear door panels and made a fiberglass spot for subs on both rear doors, the other guy put a sub in the middle of the rear seat. Both guys didn't want to give up there under seat space. My buddy that did the fiberglass molded door subwoofer found it on youtube under doddge ram maybe that will help..

I'd be happy if I could pick up the 6 speakers and amp for around 1K, but that's not set in stone. I already have 1/0 wire run to a dist block and have more than enough speaker wire laying around so all I need is some deadening mat and some RCAs.

Under my front seat there is about 2.75 x 10 x 12 inches of space. Not enough for a sub, but should be fine for a 4 channel amp. The back seats fold forward and down almost to the floor so that's out. I really have measured everything out and decided against subs. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Had 2 12" JLW6's in my old Cavalier and a 10" JLW7 in my last truck so I do know what I'm going to be missing.

I momentarily considered a 6 channel amp, but after looking at 3.5" speakers it seems like they only require around 25w RMS each and my HU specs out at 22 so it seems a waste doesn't it? Where as the 6.5s and 6x9s I was looking at are more like 100w each.

My HU has a center preout, but I rarely watch movies in the truck so I wasn't even going to worry about the center speaker. Unless there is some kind of micro single channel amp I could run it from? Does such a mythical beast exist?

I could quote you on a full CDT Audio speaker system. You could start with a 2-way in the front with 6.7" midbass in the doors, 2" mid/tweeters in the dash, and later add 1" imaging tweeters if you wanted more sparkle on the top end. The 2-way I would recommend is either HD-6 or HD-M6 along with ES-02bl. These would be wired through the new MX-1000SX crossovers, which will begin shipping by the end of this month. A pair of coaxials would go in the rear.

For the amp I would use the Precision Power P900.4. It should easily fit under your seat, but if not I have an even smaller amp that's only slightly less powerful.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.