Speaker/amp matching?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Frankensuby
10+ year member

I'm in Ur F0rumZ
PA
2 questions for the audio gurus here, real simple //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

1. Is it not a waste to buy a set of higher end coaxials/components for your car if you only plan on running them off your HU power?

2. When buying a set of speakers and an amp to match them, are we supposed to undershoot the speaker RMS power...meet dead on (I.E 50 RMS speaker to 50RMS max channel amp?).... or slightly overshoot the speakers RMS rating?

I see so many threads where the OP asks the question "what speakers should I get" or "suggest a speaker in X size" and they don't relay proper info, such as if they are amping them or not.

Or worse yet, the OP will say up front, he's just replacing a set of speakers and he is only running it off of HU power, and people will be suggesting 100 RMS speakers, or 200-300$ sets of components, etc... that are meant to handle 75 RMS, etc... Isn't that a waste of speaker?

1. Is it not a waste to buy a set of higher end coaxials/components for your car if you only plan on running them off your HU power?
I would personally call it a "waste" since you would not be extracting the full performance potential from the speakers. Why spend more money on nicer speakers if you aren't going to take full advtange of them?

2. When buying a set of speakers and an amp to match them, are we supposed to undershoot the speaker RMS power...meet dead on (I.E 50 RMS speaker to 50RMS max channel amp?).... or slightly overshoot the speakers RMS rating?
Yes, Yes, and Yes.

There is no real answer. You want an amplifier that will allow the speakers to cleanly play to an output level that satisfies you without needlessly risking damage to the speaker. If the speakers are rated for 100w RMS, but 50w is enough to power then to a level that more than satisfies you volume wise, then there is no reason not to use the 50w amplifier. Even if you bought an amplifier of more power...if 50w of power is enough, then that is all you will actually end up using from the amplifier since that amount of power is the amount of power it takes to drive the speakers to a level of output that you need. Basically, if it takes X amount of watts to reach a volume level of Y decibels, and Y decibels is as loud as you will ever listen to your stereo, then you will use no more than X amount of watts from an amplifier capable of more power.

So, now is it a waste of an amplifier since you paid for more power than you needed when a cheaper, lower wattage amplifier would have done the job just as well?

agree with squeak and if you get a 400x2 amp to run a set of components lets say you have to know the limits of the speakers. 400 watts is fo headroom not volume

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.