Sound deadening...

Participant count
  • Participant list

alxben95
10+ year member

I've searched around a bit on the web and this forum and I can't seem to find an answer that is consistent. I want to sound deaden my whole car not only for rattles also for the road noise. So should I use some execution audio deadener for the whole car doors,headliner,hatch,and floor, or would it be better to put closed cell foam in the doors and floor and the execution audio deadener for the rest of the car or what? I've read multiple forum posts saying the closed cell foam works well and multiple that have said it doesn't work at all. Just curious what you guys have to say on the matter. If I go the closed cell route i plan on going with 1/4 inch. If it matters I drive a Mazda 3 hatchback with to obsidian audio 12's.

Sound dampened first then use CCF and finish with MLV. You will block out a ton of noise.
What is MLV? Another reason I was hoping the CCF would be good for road noise on the floor was because of weight..Trying to take it easy on the little 2 liter.

dB-3 4 ft. x 8 ft. Acoustical Barrier-DB348X96BX at The Home Depot this is a cost effective MLV, its mass loaded vinly and can be very expensive, but this is practically the same thing
here is my mini build with using it on just the door panels for now

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/602916-mlv-alternative-build.html
Hmm ok so what is the MLV made out of, it doesn't look much different than the sound deadener. Also how much noise did that setup reduce on in your car?

i think is made of rubber and has thin line of some other matieral, but no its not like sound deadener b/c its not a peel and stick, it made a pretty good difference, i could barley hear outside cars go by me, i only did my doors and driver and passenger side floor, i need to do under the seats and back, i just ran out, so 2 boxes should work, i have a 4 door sedan and all 4 doors and the lining of the trunk also.

I would check this out...

Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown

...and read all of the articles. I just got done reading all about how to create a 'barrier' between the passenger compartment and the road. Pretty cool stuff. Go look at 'keep_hope_alive' build logs in the build log area of the forums. That guy can do a hell of an install and has many under his belt. Lots of pics too and links galore on the subject. Those can go a long way to building some confidence in doing it. Knowing how it should look is really nice to know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.