sonotube users, need your input

Participant count
  • Participant list

THATpurpleKUSH
5,000+ posts

Fuckyou
I went up to Home Depot to get some sonotube for my next build, found out the 8inch comes in 3 different sizes....wtf

I ended up going with the largest one, 8.5inner diameter, they went down to about 7.5-7.75 I forget exactly, but none were an actual 8 inches in diameter. The 10s and 12s were also in different diameters.

What are the actual sizes you guys use? I figured the biggest was the best, doing a sc'ed DD 2515 in 4.25 cu/ft tuned in the low 30s for daily with a removable port and higher tune for comps.

I think mine was 8" on the dot. I think they do different sizes so they can put them inside of eachother for storage (which makes sense that they go down in 1/4" increments cause the thickness of them is 1/8"). From my experience, they work best if you can get the port to be flush with whatever side its attached to. If the port extends outwards you'll get port noise. Having it flush against the wood helps it act almost like a flare and it calms down a lot of the port noise.

20120811_180324.jpg

20120814_190707.jpg

12.5" made oval.

first baffle is flat to the tubed, added the second and used a router to flush them up. Then round over on the out outer baffle.

You will need to resin and coat it a good bit as the port its self will resonate.

Just make sure you do your math right.

my box is roughly 12.9sqin per cube. Sounds fine so far. I need to lower tuning.

I plan on rounding off the inside of the board that the port will be attached to and I will notch the end and I will tape it to create a ghetto flare.

I guess that makes sense that the sizes are for storage purposes, I was trying to get the sales associate to let me have all 3 for the price of one because they were all together lol

I plan on rounding off the inside of the board that the port will be attached to and I will notch the end and I will tape it to create a ghetto flare.
I guess that makes sense that the sizes are for storage purposes, I was trying to get the sales associate to let me have all 3 for the price of one because they were all together lol
I'm guessing they didn't go for it lol

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

that port in action

Cause my port was partially internal/external I had to get creative for how I secured it since I couldn't fit a drill in to screw it to the wood.

Get the port to how you want it then secure it in place with duct tape:

bOKPl.jpg

bOKPl.jpg

Seal up one side of the wood/sonotube with plenty of liquid nails. Wait a good 10-15 minutes for it to start curing. Then flip over the entire thing, and now fill that whole gap with wood glue (this is why it's important to seal it up good, the liquid nails will act as a "container" for the glue). Let it sit overnight to fully dry before using it. I didn't have any issues with the tube resonating but I was only using the 8". If you're using the 10 or the 12 then consider using resin.

I'm guessing they didn't go for it lol 

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

that port in action

Yea they laughed at me like I was an idiot, nice vid though.

Thanks for the help guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

well if you have never used sono before make sure you get all the wax off before to do anything.because resin wont stick to wax AT ALL. another thing you might want to do more then coat it with resin. those tubes will resonate. when i did mine i used fiberglass on the outside of it wrapped it twice and drenched it in resin.then coated the inside.

well if you have never used sono before make sure you get all the wax off before to do anything.because resin wont stick to wax AT ALL. another thing you might want to do more then coat it with resin. those tubes will resonate. when i did mine i used fiberglass on the outside of it wrapped it twice and drenched it in resin.then coated the inside.
any tips on what to use to remove the wax? ppg dx330?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.