Sonotube build - JL 13W3v3, suspended in trunk

Looks good but that cant be very strong, the walls of that tube are cardboard and there isnt any fiberglass in there to reinforce it.

So it's just a 14" x 22" sonotube?

3 3/4 MDF rings? How did you attach these? Are they just standard size for a 15"? ( I **** at cutting so way just going to buy some, but I guess I would still have to cut the back side Hmmm )

I am wanting to make one but fiberglass it. Any idea how much the sonotube would be to buy since you got it free and where to get them? Lowes maybe?

So it's just a 14" x 22" sonotube?3 3/4 MDF rings? How did you attach these? Are they just standard size for a 15"? ( I **** at cutting so way just going to buy some, but I guess I would still have to cut the back side Hmmm )

I am wanting to make one but fiberglass it. Any idea how much the sonotube would be to buy since you got it free and where to get them? Lowes maybe?
The MDF is glued in with heavy duty construction adhesive, the kind that comes in a tube similar to caulk. I also put 6 screws into the sides of the baffles for reinforcement.

I didn't get it free. The two 22" sections cost about $10 total at a local construction supply place. Lowes and Home Depot only carry up to 12", so unless you're building one for a 12" or 10" sub I wouldn't bother looking there.

I'm confused about your question about standard size for a 15"? The sub is 13" if that's what you were referring to.

And the internal volume is 1.6 cubic feet after displacement.

I don't have a sub amp. JL subs are powered by the dreams of small children.
Nah j/k it's under the driver seat.
i was waiting to hear a drive shaft off the trans that drives a crank inside the box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

the only thing im worried about if I were to do this, is if my baffle or end cap were even just a little bit off there would be a leak. Plus I don't have a router so if I used a jig saw i'd have to make a perfect cut.

i was under the impression that the tube should be a few inches wider than the diameter of the sub? does anyone know if this matters?
I would assume it depends on the install. Being right on the edge some waves might roll off the side and create issues. Though being in a small trunk that might not make much of a difference...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.