Some real basic Q's here

Montana

Banned
So, I built a box once, turned out well. About to build a second box and need to gather more info about the numbers behind it, and what's the specs are.

So, I built a box for my two SA-12 D4s, and just built it to "company recommandations" So, it's at 4.2cubes and 35Hz.

All went well, however, my questions are (most likely extremely basic)

I've seen subwoofers that say "2cubes min, 4.5 cubes max" ect ect.

Is the 2 cubes going to give the boomyer window shaking pure air pushing hits? and the bigger box is more SQ? Or vis versa?

Same with Hz, whats the deal there?

Because I am going to build a box for my friend [just for practice and to get him out of that cruddy store bought box] and I believe he is going for that pure SPL.

Thanks for help provided. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blush.gif.99bc659ee2012b7d826165e26fb5eebe.gif

lower hz will hit lower notes this will depend on what sub your using like Skar vvx likes lows so i tuned box to 32hz
Okay, so, 32Hz would be lower as$ viberating hits, and 35 would do better with the slightly higher mids? Orrr?

[quote name='Montana']So, I built a box once, turned out well. About to build a second box and need to gather more info about the numbers behind it, and what's the specs are.

So, I built a box for my two SA-12 D4s, and just built it to "company recommandations" So, it's at 4.2cubes and 35Hz.

All went well, however, my questions are (most likely extremely basic)

I've seen subwoofers that say "2cubes min, 4.5 cubes max" ect ect.

Is the 2 cubes going to give the boomyer window shaking pure air pushing hits? and the bigger box is more SQ? Or vis versa?

Same with Hz, whats the deal there?

Because I am going to build a box for my friend [just for practice and to get him out of that cruddy store bought box] and I believe he is going for that pure SPL.

Thanks for help provided. :blush:[/QUOTE]

Yooz gonna need some help. I would suggest having a pro help design with the designs until you can learn more.
@pro\-rabbit ; @Buck ; @RAM_Designs ;

Any of those guys can help.

Okay... You need to learn to use a box program.. Winisd / Bass Box Pro etc... one of them... Enter in all of the T/S parameters and start from there.. yeah put a Kicker 12" in a 3cube box on RMS won't last long.. SPL... smaller boxes more port.. So far from the 4 or 5 plans i've had done for me none of the boxes are grossly bigger nor smaller than req. specs. It all depends on goals etc.. The bigger the box the less power it needs to get loud..

[quote name='av83']Yooz gonna need some help. I would suggest having a pro help design with the designs until you can learn more.
@pro\-rabbit ; @Buck ; @RAM_Designs ;

Any of those guys can help.[/QUOTE]

I swear anytime I ask about anything box related I get someone trying to shove a box designer down my throat, how do I learn if you just keep telling me to go to them and have them do it for me.

Okay... You need to learn to use a box program.. Winisd / Bass Box Pro etc... one of them... Enter in all of the T/S parameters and start from there.. yeah put a Kicker 12" in a 3cube box on RMS won't last long.. SPL... smaller boxes more port.. So far from the 4 or 5 plans i've had done for me none of the boxes are grossly bigger nor smaller than req. specs. It all depends on goals etc.. The bigger the box the less power it needs to get loud..

Alright, alright, noted info. I'll look into those programs, so a small box big port pushing hard wattage is going to give the most rolling thunder?

Okay, so, 32Hz would be lower as$ viberating hits, and 35 would do better with the slightly higher mids? Orrr?
Not really. the response curve becomes steeper with higher tuning. Lower tuning and the curve flattens out. The sub and size of box also determines how well certain notes sound. Not to mention the acoustic enviroment(i.e. whether you have a hatch, truck, trunk, etc.) plays a huge role, as well. Yes, you can dig a little lower going from a mid thirties tune, to a lower thirties tune, but the biggest difference you will notice will be how the volume will sound more even. It will benefit you most if you listen to music that has a broad range and you want all low (25-60hz) frequency notes to be of as similar volume as possible.

I swear anytime I ask about anything box related I get someone trying to shove a box designer down my throat, how do I learn if you just keep telling me to go to them and have them do it for me.
not trying to shove a designer down your thoat... but if you are building for other people they may expect results that you do not have the ability to recreate yet. It takes YEARS to learn about enclosure design. There is much, much more involved than you think. I commend you for undertaking it though. These are guys you can LEARN from, as well as purchase from.

Not really. the response curve becomes steeper with higher tuning. Lower tuning and the curve flattens out. The sub and size of box also determines how well certain notes sound. Not to mention the acoustic enviroment(i.e. whether you have a hatch, truck, trunk, etc.) plays a huge role, as well. Yes, you can dig a little lower going from a mid thirties tune, to a lower thirties tune, but the biggest difference you will notice will be how the volume will sound more even. It will benefit you most if you listen to music that has a broad range and you want all low (25-60hz) frequency notes to be of as similar volume as possible.
Should I just google and try to find some info as how to account for box location? As in trunk, hatchback ect ect, because the same box will hit LOADS differently in differnt locations as you mentioned. Also, if i just put my port/subs pushing towards my cabin, and folded the seats down, would it give the same effect as in a Sedan? I mean its one big cabin then and its bouncing around inside the cabin then not inside the trunk.

[quote name='Montana']Should I just google and try to find some info as how to account for box location? As in trunk, hatchback ect ect, because the same box will hit LOADS differently in differnt locations as you mentioned. Also, if i just put my port/subs pushing towards my cabin, and folded the seats down, would it give the same effect as in a Sedan? I mean its one big cabin then and its bouncing around inside the cabin then not inside the trunk.[/QUOTE]

If you want to learn that you would be better off talking with @RAM_Designs ; or @Moble Enclosurs ;

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.