Port Area

Participant count
  • Participant list

JoeK
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ringtown, PA
I brought my box to a professional box builder for opinions and he told me my port area was too small. Its 2" wide and 15" tall all the way back. It's an L port.

The box he has waiting to build for me has apparantly a wider port area. What exactly will this mean for me? Hes tuning it to 30hz but im not sure if that matters

I mean, other than maybe a little port noise from the port being a little narrow, i dont see a big problem with it. maybe you could go 3 inches wide??

Whats the net volume of teh enclosure after woofer displacement??

I mean, other than maybe a little port noise from the port being a little narrow, i dont see a big problem with it. maybe you could go 3 inches wide??
Whats the net volume of teh enclosure after woofer displacement??
5.5 i think it was, the figure in my sig is wrong.

Generally you try to keep the port ratio to an absolute minimum of 1:8 with 1:6 - 1:5 being ideal. 2/15 = 1:7.5 which is pretty close to that minimum. Plus that's only 30 in^2 of port. For a 15" sub as big as the one you have (which iirc is the XL?) you could get away with a lot more port area. 60-80 in^2 would work well.

Generally you try to keep the port ratio to an absolute minimum of 1:8 with 1:6 - 1:5 being ideal. 2/15 = 1:7.5 which is pretty close to that minimum. Plus that's only 30 in^2 of port. For a 15" sub as big as the one you have (which iirc is the XL?) you could get away with a lot more port area. 60-80 in^2 would work well.
Yes it is the XL. The builder quoted me @ 3.25 net 30hz with .. 'large' port area. He said the box would be around the size of mine now im dimensions, but most of it is going to the port. My box now is too big volume wise anyways

Yes it is the XL. The builder quoted me @ 3.25 net 30hz with .. 'large' port area. He said the box would be around the size of mine now im dimensions, but most of it is going to the port. My box now is too big volume wise anyways
Yep that sounds like some good specs. Get your port area to at least 60 in^2 and you should be alright. I wouldn't go too big though because you aren't running a huge amount of power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.