Some more of my work

I would also like to know. Fiberglass? bondo?

What kind of paint do you use for the interior panels? I was thinking about doing that but I've seen a couple of other peoples whose didn't come out very well. How do you prep them, and do the panels end up without the factory texture? Sorry, but one more question how does the candy hold up to extreme sun? I live in southern New Mexico and the sun here is SICK. It eats metallic paint UGLY. Just curious cuz I'd like to get some candy paint but I don't want to spend the $$ and have it shitty in 2 years. Looks great!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif

Yeah try to get some pics of the mid layer pearl. My dad doesnt really know how to spray it. He has heard to just spray everywhere, not even in a pattern, then someone else said to spray in a pattern. I would like to see some more of your work.

Thanks
Its real easy there are a few ways to achieve the look.

1] you can spray your base color then add some pearl to your first couple coats of clear the top it off with 2-3 coats of straight clear. This works fine but can get costly if you do allot of painting because you are using more clear. This is also not good for graphics because of the high build and tape edges.

2] the way I prefer to do it is to make a mixture of pearl and binder,"basically base coat without color in it just pearl." This sprays like a base coat, walk it like a candy the whole leanth of the car sometimes you may want to cross pattern If your not confident in your pattern overlap. This Is my preferred method also because it makes less build so you can use this for your ghost graphics real nice .

Ill get some more picks soon

What kind of paint do you use for the interior panels? I was thinking about doing that but I've seen a couple of other peoples whose didn't come out very well. How do you prep them, and do the panels end up without the factory texture? Sorry, but one more question how does the candy hold up to extreme sun? I live in southern New Mexico and the sun here is SICK. It eats metallic paint UGLY. Just curious cuz I'd like to get some candy paint but I don't want to spend the $$ and have it shitty in 2 years. Looks great!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif
I use regular auto paint for everything, Dupont or HOK mostly. Allot of peoples parts don't come out good, have texture or chip easy, lol sand ,sand and more sand. As far as how long candy will hold up in the sun , I am not sure ,I mean if you park anything you paint in the middle of the desert for a long period of time its going fade or something. Paint will last as long as the prep was done right and you take care of it. Candy does fade after time but it all depends how much sun your talking about. The better the clear the better the uv protection also. I have work that's 7 years old and still looks like it was just painted.

218598_283_full.jpg

218598_281_full.jpg

That's a cutlass in the background, what year? I have a 84' in the shop right now getting the bodywork done and me and my dad are gonna paint it. What do you know about the new Hot Hues PPG has out? Also the "binder" you were talking about, what exactly is that? You said a base with no color? Do you like using the Mid-Layer pearl? Any nice effects?

That's a cutlass in the background, what year? I have a 84' in the shop right now getting the bodywork done and me and my dad are gonna paint it. What do you know about the new Hot Hues PPG has out? Also the "binder" you were talking about, what exactly is that? You said a base with no color? Do you like using the Mid-Layer pearl? Any nice effects?
That cutty is an 85, I am building a fiberglass box for it right now, doing the insides and hope to paint it by the weekend. I have only used PPG a couple of times but they seem to have good products. When you make a color at the paint store you put in binder, flop control,and the pigment together to make a color. When you do a tri-stage or mid-stage you just use the binder and flop control mixed with pearl. You reduce this as if it were the normal base you use, then spray it over your base followed by your clear.

That cutty is an 85, I am building a fiberglass box for it right now, doing the insides and hope to paint it by the weekend. I have only used PPG a couple of times but they seem to have good products. When you make a color at the paint store you put in binder, flop control,and the pigment together to make a color. When you do a tri-stage or mid-stage you just use the binder and flop control mixed with pearl. You reduce this as if it were the normal base you use, then spray it over your base followed by your clear.
From what I can tell in the pics, your work looks awsome...

I love some of the new colors and paints that are avalible from companys like HOK, Dupont and PPG..

I have been exposed to painting at some level (my dad paitined a few hundred cars in our garage as I gew up) and I have always had some interest in painting.

Do you know of any sites that have a lot of info on leaning how to paint? I like to read and reseach alot, before I jump into something...

I am considering buying a mid sized compressor and a few guns to dabble around on the side, painting dashes, other interior parts, fiberglass enclosures and such....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.