Some help with subwoofer choice.

omgrellik
10+ year member

Hello all, I'm new here. I decided to finally join instead of just looking around. I really really want to get a 15 TODAY. My 12s got messed up and I sold the box because I wanted a 15 hopefully upgrading to 2 15s eventually. I've got amp and this afternoon I'm gonna buy a box. I have a few things I need help with

1. How do I correctly test a subwoofer to make sure it's not gonna blow quick or isn't messed up at all before I buy it? I know I'd probably be able to just hear most things when I plug it up. Is there any way I can be sure it isn't gonna blow quick or anything?

2. A guy offered to sell me a Power Acoustik BL-15. I can't really find any reviews of it? Anyone ever heard one or anything? Anyone know how it sounds or how loud it is? What about how long they last? I'm just kinda worried it may blow quick. I need it to last for a few months. I'll be pushing anywhere from 100-400 watts to it. It says the peak is 700, I believe RMS is 350. Although, I don't know if that's actually true. I'll more than likely be pushing either 100W, 200W, or 300W to it. If anyone could give me any help with this it would be greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot and have a good day.

you should have never created an account on this forum...
Why shouldn't I? Everyone has questions, there are things you don't even know. At least I'm not being obnoxious like yourself.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Free air sub on low power and listen for noise. Check coil with DMM. I would not buy the PA unless its like $30 bucks..
Thank you man, I'll try to knock the guy down in price.

I seriously think we should just sticky a thread named "OKAY, SKAR, OBSIDIAN, SUNDOWN, PICK A POISION, PICK A SUB SIZE, YOUR DONE"

Uhm. Look into Obsidian Audio, Skar Audio, Sundown Audio.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I seriously think we should just sticky a thread named "OKAY, SKAR, OBSIDIAN, SUNDOWN, PICK A POISION, PICK A SUB SIZE, YOUR DONE"
Uhm. Look into Obsidian Audio, Skar Audio, Sundown Audio.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
This is a budget build. I'm getting 2 Sundown 15s once I get a job. Until then, I just need something to provide me with some bass. The quality of the sound does matter to me, but it's not just sound quality that matters to me. I just love the feeling bass gives me. So I figured if I can go somewhat cheap until I'm able to get more money, then I'd do that. Not everyone just has money they can throw at car audio. I can't ask my parents for money either, one of the agreements of getting my new car is they won't really give me any money for gas or anything like car audio/games/whatever.

This is a budget build. I'm getting 2 Sundown 15s once I get a job. Until then, I just need something to provide me with some bass. The quality of the sound does matter to me, but it's not just sound quality that matters to me. I just love the feeling bass gives me. So I figured if I can go somewhat cheap until I'm able to get more money, then I'd do that. Not everyone just has money they can throw at car audio. I can't ask my parents for money either, one of the agreements of getting my new car is they won't really give me any money for gas or anything like car audio/games/whatever.
Oh I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 19, work a part time job, and go to school full time.

My Entire Builds cost is described here

Obsidian Audio 15 D4 -$140

ASPM-1500 - $120

Box and Installation - $135 (you probably won't be getting near as cheap I got on this)

Rockford Fosgate 4 Gauge Wiring - $30

Add that **** up and your at $425.

This entire system, goes from a 100% SQ system to 100% pure "here my bass, and fearrr me"

A single OA-15 will get you everything you need! Insane bump, and awesome SQ! FOr cheap!

In your case, your gonna spend around $500ish bucks to get the same setup!

I would do it. First system, completely recommended by this forum, and I seriously had my doubts that a single 15' could bump louder than 2 kenwood 12's but boy was I wrong!!

Oh I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 19, work a part time job, and go to school full time.

ASPM-1500 - $120

Box and Installation - $135 (you probably won't be getting near as cheap I got on this)

This entire system, goes from a 100% SQ system to 100% pure "here my bass, and fearrr me"

A single OA-15 will get you everything you need! Insane bump, and awesome SQ! FOr cheap!

I would do it. First system, completely recommended by this forum, and I seriously had my doubts that a single 15' could bump louder than 2 kenwood 12's but boy was I wrong!!
Luckily I can do all the installation (and everything is still wired from my 12s), I got an amp (well actually 2 amps), buying a 15 box from my friend that he used with his Type R (he's now using his ported box again, which takes up most of the trunk of his Jeep :p). I just need a sub, but I **** at waiting for stuff. When I want something, I want it right then. I always let that override pretty much any other thoughts. I'm hoping this thing is decent.

Where'd you get that Obsidian? I can't find it anywhere.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Or do a 12'
Or even a 10'!

Can't go wrong!
12's don't really give me enough feel (well maybe in a ported box). I don't think 10s would do the trick at all :L

ASPM-1500 - $120

I would do it. First system, completely recommended by this forum, and I seriously had my doubts that a single 15' could bump louderthan 2 kenwood 12's but boy was I wrong!!
You really need to stop referring to SQ at all with that **** amp you have. You're a complete fool for thinking you even remotely have "SQ". And like I said in the thread you created, Sundown, Skar, and Obsidian are far from the end all-be all subs. You really need to stop posting here until you know more, because you're just passing on the same misinformation you decided to listen to when you first started making threads.

1. How do I correctly test a subwoofer to make sure it's not gonna blow quick or isn't messed up at all before I buy it? I know I'd probably be able to just hear most things when I plug it up. Is there any way I can be sure it isn't gonna blow quick or anything?

There are a few easy ways to tell if a sub is bad without powering it at all. First, push down on it and if it doesnt move at all, it's probably blow. Second, and it might sound odd but smell it. If it stinks like fried circuit board, stay away. And last, take a simple 9V battery with you. Touch the + on the + of each voice coil and - to the - at the same time. If the sub is not blown, it should move the sub up and it will go down when you take the battery off. Do that to each voice coil on the sub. AND NO, IT WILL NOT HURT IT OR RUIN ANYTHING.

There ya go, some simple ways to tell. Good luck

There are a few easy ways to tell if a sub is bad without powering it at all. First, push down on it and if it doesnt move at all, it's probably blow. Second, and it might sound odd but smell it. If it stinks like fried circuit board, stay away. And last, take a simple 9V battery with you. Touch the + on the + of each voice coil and - to the - at the same time. If the sub is not blown, it should move the sub up and it will go down when you take the battery off. Do that to each voice coil on the sub. AND NO, IT WILL NOT HURT IT OR RUIN ANYTHING.
There ya go, some simple ways to tell. Good luck

Thanks man, but I'll be testing it in a box with an amp also, I was wondering if there was any specific sounds or anything I needed to look for to show too much wear or that its near blowing or whatever.

ASPM-1500 - $120

I like my apsm 1500 for what it is, a cheap amp that make good power... but please man, stop it. It's not an sq or spl amp. And your sub is decent, but it's not even close to the best. Helll, even my audiopipe sub (which was probably cheaper than your OA) is rated at 1000 rms and has a 3" voice coil.... And I saw your box. I don't have even the slightest clue as to how you can consider your lows to achieve achieve decent sq OR spl with that thing. You need to read and learn more about this entire hobby before you start giving advice like what you're giving. There's nothing wrong with liking what you have, but at least KNOW what you have and how it stacks up against what is available.

Thanks man, but I'll be testing it in a box with an amp also, I was wondering if there was any specific sounds or anything I needed to look for to show too much wear or that its near blowing or whatever.
You can always listen for a little rattling (loose or broken voice coils) but I would make him pull out the sub to look it over before handing over your $. You have every right to ask. Sometimes there might not be an indicator and it can just go. If its some random street thumper that does not know in depth car audio, I would bring a multimeter with you and test the voice coils for what ohm's each is (might be stamped or marked on the bottom of the sub too) and look to see how they have it wired up to the amp. A lot of novice boomers dont even know what ohms are and just wire it up to an amp and pray for the best.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.