Solving headlight dimming at high amp draw.

Participant count
  • Participant list

-Remix

CarAudio.com Newbie
I know the correct and first answer is high output alternator but let me give a brief explanation.

I've clamp metered and tested and done the calculations about a million times now, I'm only running about 240 watts rms. The most I've EVER seen my amp draw is 19 amps it's usually around 15 or 16. My alternator is 90 amps stock. I should have enough headroom left over even after accounting for the rest of the systems electrical......so what gives? This car is old and I can tell the alt has never been changed. Possible it's not producing the full 90 amps? This is a commuter and a junk car hence why it had such low power 12s and amp in there. I'm not really willing to put a high output alternator on a car that's IF its straining is only straining by a few amps, and same goes for a 150 200 dollar battery, as the car is literally worth barely more than those upgrades. I have a little 12 amp hour deep cycle and another giant 200 amp hour deep cycle. I was wondering if that would help? If not maybe get a capacitor? And would doing the big three even be beneficial or have a chance at solving the problem? If not I'm just going to let It keep going until the alt quits. That's the lack of care i have for this car haha.

Hmmm, that 12 ah hour agm would store energy more like a cap so might want to save your money on a cap. The expense will be the additional wire from battery a to battery b. A Big thee is going to make sure you get amperage AVAILABLE from your alt, no matter what the age/capacity of the alt is.

Since you already have the battery probably both worthy upgrades for the cost of some welding wire and terminal lugs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.