(Solved) Remote has power, Battery does not

Participant count
  • Participant list

EthanIsMelting

CarAudio.com Newbie
Canada
Hi, I just installed a Hifonics Brutus 1500watt Class Super D amp in my 1993 Wrangler. The amp turns on, but I do not get any sound from my sub (Skar 8"). When testing with a voltmeter my Remote/ground reads 12.5, but my Battery/ground reads 0. Do I need to replace the cable, or a fuse? I checked both fuses on the amp and they are good. Currently I do not have an inline fuse for the power cable (I know I know). Speakers are powered by the head unit and work. The HU settings are correct. The Sub reads a stable 2 ohms. Any help would be appreciated. My next plan is to replace the power cable (and install a fuse).

Last edited:
my Battery/ground reads 0
Are you putting your meter's black lead on the - terminal of the amp or to some clean metal on the chasis? Only 2 options of what's wrong is a bad cable or connection to the battery or a bad cable or connection to ground (assuming you're just measuring at the terminals). Blown fuse on the amp or other internal amp problems would not cause you to get 0V at the +12 terminal on your amp.

Though it seems odd that the amp would power up without +12V.

Are you putting your meter's black lead on the - terminal of the amp or to some clean metal on the chasis? Only 2 options of what's wrong is a bad cable or connection to the battery or a bad cable or connection to ground (assuming you're just measuring at the terminals). Blown fuse on the amp or other internal amp problems would not cause you to get 0V at the +12 terminal on your amp.

To the body I get 12.7v stable, to a different ground, and to the same one I'm using.

To the body I get 12.7v stable, to a different ground, and to the same one I'm using.

I changed the wire, so now my battery/ground and remote/ground reads 12v, but still no sound. I've already swapped out the RCA'S. Sub is stable at 2 ohms. The power out to the sub jumps around, but so does the unconnected set. The ohms from the amp connection to the sub reads 23, and the unconnected set reads 2. I've tried every configuration with where the sub wires into, no luck.

So you have +12 on the +12 and REM terminal of your amp, you have a known good RCA signal from the source unit to the amp? How could you have AC power at the speaker terminals of your amp and no sound? A bad wire to the speaker, DVC speaker with coils out of phase?

So you have +12 on the +12 and REM terminal of your amp, you have a known good RCA signal from the source unit to the amp? How could you have AC power at the speaker terminals of your amp and no sound? A bad wire to the speaker, DVC speaker with coils out of phase?
I'll try switching out the wires to my sub. I dont know how to check coil phase, but I'll look into that. Thanks!

I did not do the HU install, so could the HU and speakers be wired in such a way that the sub wont play? I think I have tried everything. All my power is good. I've tried new RCA's, I tried a 3.6mm to RCA from my phone to the amp, I tried L2L and R2R, and L2R and R2L, I tried on input and output. I tried another Subwoofer. With my current sub when i put a 9v to the wires i get noise. I tried all the wiring configurations, I double checked my sub wiring and ohms. I checked my fuses. I tried different levels on the amp, I adjusted all kinds of settings on the HU. Speakers work (as they are powered by the HU) but the sub has no sound.

Have you considered a bad amplifier? I've had new ones that were DOA. Seems like you've done good troubleshooting. Also sometimes the head unit will have a setting to address signal output to a sub. Even if all your wiring is correct, there will be no sound. What brand and model of head unit do you have?

Have you considered a bad amplifier? I've had new ones that were DOA. Seems like you've done good troubleshooting. Also sometimes the head unit will have a setting to address signal output to a sub. Even if all your wiring is correct, there will be no sound. What brand and model of head unit do you have?
Some pioneer single slot. The settings say subwoofer output is on and is set to normal. I've tried it with the out reversed, and off. Dead amp seems like the only option at this point. All the head unit settings are correct. Small backstory, there was a kenwood amp and sub in the vehicle 3 weeks ago that blew its fuses and wouldnt work (I tried fuses 5 above and below as well), so maybe that fried the HU? The original sub and amp did work at one point in time

That may be a possibility, that the output on the head unit may be fried. Have you considered getting your sound signal from a nearby speaker, instead of the head unit? There is a speaker wire to RCA cables that you can purchase. They connect to a speaker and the RCA input on your amplifier. It's called a LOC (Line out converter.) It's fairly easy to do and you can go on the internet to view videos on how to install. You can keep the current amplifier turn-on wire. Try this link

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.