so confused smd distortion detector?

How does the device know what the final load will be? Even if there is a dummy load, if the load inside the device is different than the final load, the gain setting will be off it's that simple. Like I said with the JL Slash amp the gain setting is not going to be in the same place when the load changes. 1000W@4Ω = 63.2VAC, 1000W@2Ω = 44.7VAC, and 1000W@1.5Ω = 38.7VAC the SMD device has no way to compensate for that. If you follow the instructions it will not end well. The amp needs to have a load present to use an o-scope or this SMD device. Even using the SMD with a load present in many cases you are only gaining output by sending a dirtier signal than rated. I fail to see the advantage to using it. Buy an amp with plenty of headroom to overpower your speakers then set the gains with a DMM so that you limit the output of the amp to match the speakers. You will have a cleaner signal and maximum output without spending $150 on this thing.
well technically speaking your cd, usb, or ipod can introduce a whole new element that causes distortion or varying output as well since songs are burned or pressed at different bitrates so even if u set gains PERFECTLY you can throw in a cd with a really high bitrate and blow anything. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. No method is perfect, not even an oscope by itself.

How does the device know what the final load will be? Even if there is a dummy load, if the load inside the device is different than the final load, the gain setting will be off it's that simple. Like I said with the JL Slash amp the gain setting is not going to be in the same place when the load changes. 1000W@4Ω = 63.2VAC, 1000W@2Ω = 44.7VAC, and 1000W@1.5Ω = 38.7VAC the SMD device has no way to compensate for that. If you follow the instructions it will not end well. The amp needs to have a load present to use an o-scope or this SMD device. Even using the SMD with a load present in many cases you are only gaining output by sending a dirtier signal than rated. I fail to see the advantage to using it. Buy an amp with plenty of headroom to overpower your speakers then set the gains with a DMM so that you limit the output of the amp to match the speakers. You will have a cleaner signal and maximum output without spending $150 on this thing.
Amplifiers work as a voltage gain, meaning it sets the output voltage and lets the current vary. Your output voltage is the same regardless of the impedance. Your looking at the numbers from the wrong side. I don't know of many amplifiers that can produce the same power at different impedances so your voltage examples are useless. This is how you should be looking at it.

1000w @ 1ohm = 31.62V

500w @ 2 ohm = 31.62V

250w @ 4 ohm = 31.62V

Those would be potential voltage levels you could set a 1000w amplifier to for the various impedance configurations. So in theory it doesn't really matter what impedance the amplifier is seeing when you set the gain.

That being said, this SMD handheld POS has been discussed before and IMO it's useless at it's current price point. A handheld scope will provide more information at the same/less cost. I think around $50 would be much more reasonable...

Amplifiers work as a voltage gain, meaning it sets the output voltage and lets the current vary. Your output voltage is the same regardless of the impedance. Your looking at the numbers from the wrong side. I don't know of many amplifiers that can produce the same power at different impedances so your voltage examples are useless. This is how you should be looking at it.
1000w @ 1ohm = 31.62V

500w @ 2 ohm = 31.62V

250w @ 4 ohm = 31.62V

Those would be potential voltage levels you could set a 1000w amplifier to for the various impedance configurations. So in theory it doesn't really matter what impedance the amplifier is seeing when you set the gain.

That being said, this SMD handheld POS has been discussed before and IMO it's useless at it's current price point. A handheld scope will provide more information at the same/less cost. I think around $50 would be much more reasonable...
No. You are misinformed Bubba. The voltage changes with frequency. Also the resistance changes with frequency. Current is NOT the only variable.

Also, the SMD checker is set for 2 frequencies. The IC knows exactly what the waveform for these frequencies should look like. If the actual waveform gets out of tolerance with the waveform it expects with either of these frequencies, it says there is distortion. Plain and simple.

1000w @ 1ohm = 31.62V

500w @ 2 ohm = 31.62V

250w @ 4 ohm = 31.62V

I understand that there are a majority of amps that the ratings double as the impedance is halved, but lower quality amps such as a Hifonics Brutus will have a similar problem to the JL because their ratings at a lower impedance change from the relationship of wattage and load in your example. In those cases the voltage output from the amp could be too high for the final load, the current could increase to a point beyond what the amplifier is capable of handling. The SMD device does not compensate for those situations, it ignores voltage output and final load completely yet claims to be a tool for setting gains. In reality it only does one thing, it looks for 1%THD. If someone buys this and doesn't understand that, they will follow the instructions and potentially damage their equipment. Without some kind of a warning or change of the instructions this is pretty useless at any price.

No. You are misinformed Bubba. The voltage changes with frequency. Also the resistance changes with frequency. Current is NOT the only variable.
Also, the SMD checker is set for 2 frequencies. The IC knows exactly what the waveform for these frequencies should look like. If the actual waveform gets out of tolerance with the waveform it expects with either of these frequencies, it says there is distortion. Plain and simple.
Yes, I agree but given the fact that your using a test tone I think we can agree the frequency is a constant here, no?

I understand that there are a majority of amps that the ratings double as the impedance is halved, but lower quality amps such as a Hifonics Brutus will have a similar problem to the JL because their ratings at a lower impedance change from the relationship of wattage and load in your example. In those cases the voltage output from the amp could be too high for the final load, the current could increase to a point beyond what the amplifier is capable of handling. The SMD device does not compensate for those situations, it ignores voltage output and final load completely yet claims to be a tool for setting gains. In reality it only does one thing, it looks for 1%THD. If someone buys this and doesn't understand that, they will follow the instructions and potentially damage their equipment. Without some kind of a warning or change of the instructions this is pretty useless at any price.
Of course it doesn't find the actual power coming it. From my understanding it just matches a 40hz sine wave to what it thinks a perfect one looks like, it doesn't go by what your amp is rated at and doing that with the DMM is pretty inaccurate. In theory when an amp cuts the resistance in half the power should double, but that's not the case with amps because of efficiency. That's why you see a 900 watt rating at 2 ohm and 1500 at 1 ohm because it is move efficient at 2 ohm. You can't magically make your amp do rated, so this finds where it's clean, and that's it, it's clean, and if your DMM says you don't have the AC voltage you should, then it's your amp's problem, not the DD-1.

Since I have not used one, I can only speculate based on how you would use an o-scope to measure distortion of the signal.

If you are playing a 40hz tone, and you see a lot of jagged edges and general fuzziness around the wavelength, that's distortion. The SMD meter would have to be measuring this tone and sensing distortion outside of the standard 40hz sine wave pattern. Sound is vibration, plain and simple. Test tones are just sine wave 40 cycle impulses (looks like sawtooth patter on the scope).

Im the type of person that hopes/expects the manufacturer to at least educate their (potential) buyers on the product being sold. I watched the instructional video Steve put out, and walked away from it wondering why he, or the designers, didnt at least attempt to explain, even in the most brief way, how the thing works. How it works, not just how to operate it. Im not at all suggesting the product is not legit, but lets face it, there are a lot of voodoo 'black box' products marketed for the audio enthusiast that are nothing more than snake oil. If I had a new black box product like this, Id want to explain how it works (again in brief terms, he wouldn't have to give away any proprietary secrets to do this) so potential customers would feel confident they aren't buying snake oil. Unfortunately, SM seems to follow the logic of 'trust me, it works' and Im not so sure that is the best way to introduce this product to the market. Its already breeding some confusion, such as seen in this thread, by people I consider above the knowledge level of the average car audio enthusiast.

Of course it doesn't find the actual power coming it. From my understanding it just matches a 40hz sine wave to what it thinks a perfect one looks like, it doesn't go by what your amp is rated at and doing that with the DMM is pretty inaccurate. In theory when an amp cuts the resistance in half the power should double, but that's not the case with amps because of efficiency. That's why you see a 900 watt rating at 2 ohm and 1500 at 1 ohm because it is move efficient at 2 ohm. You can't magically make your amp do rated, so this finds where it's clean, and that's it, it's clean, and if your DMM says you don't have the AC voltage you should, then it's your amp's problem, not the DD-1.
Here is what you are failing to understand, I'm not talking about amps that can't even produce rated power. I'm talking about amps that can produce rated but, because of the parts used and the heat dissipation of the amp can't handle the full current of a 1Ω load. With no load on the amp the "clean" voltage will likely be higher than with a load. So using your example the amp is rated for 900W@2Ω - 42.2VAC and 1500W@1Ω - 38.7VAC. Using the DD-1 to find the "clean" unloaded output the voltage will likely be over 42.2VAC, so you have just set your gains to greater than 42.2VAC. As soon as you reconnect your 1Ω sub and complete that circuit is where you are going to have a problem, because the current is now higher, potentially higher than what the amp can handle. The amp may have no trouble doing a rated 1500W@1Ω, because the parts inside can handle the current and the amp can dissipate the heat, but now you are asking it to do over 1780W@1Ω because that is what the "clean" voltage is set for. The voltage wont suddenly drop to a safe level as soon as you reconnect the sub.

SM seems to follow the logic of 'trust me, it works'
Just looking at the misinformation on this thread is enough to tell me that that's a great marketing strategy. Masses of nit-wits think he is the end-all of 12V electronics and would buy anything he sold with that pitch. They'll post their own youtube videos saying how great it is and more youtube nitwits will buy them.

I set gains by ear and use good equipment. Amps that produce more power, and speakers that can handle more power than I need under normal use and things are good. I have never ever ever set gains with a scope or DMM. Considering there's probably 6db or more varience in record levels of the music I listen to the only way to really do it is have some on tap that I don't usually use. If I need to really play loud I turn it up til I can hear distortion then roll it back a couple clicks....I'd be willing to bet it comes out quite accurate.

I agree here.

And seriously, being more expensive than handheld oscopes and can only check 2 frequencies? That's not attractive at all.

Someone stated earlier that there were no backlit handheld oscopes, well there are. Cheap too.

Also there's a small size oscope for about 100 bucks that looks like a touchscreen phone that Nick at Fi posted some time back.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.