smoke smell

tortuga1

I was going to adjust my gains for my amplifier.

ppi ice2600.1 so i disconnected the speaker wires that goes to the sub but i left it connected at the amp. It started to smell like smoke I didn't figure out where it was coming from. The amp turned off and wont turn on. I then discovered that my speaker wires disconnected at the sub were touching (+,-) Is my amp a goner? at the same time the amp for my components shut off too, I disconnected the components rca when i was setting the gains for the sub amp. I dont think is the main power wire fuse since i get current to the amp. any idea what it might be?

I was going to adjust my gains for my amplifier.ppi ice2600.1 so i disconnected the speaker wires that goes to the sub but i left it connected at the amp. It started to smell like smoke I didn't figure out where it was coming from. The amp turned off and wont turn on. I then discovered that my speaker wires disconnected at the sub were touching (+,-) Is my amp a goner? at the same time the amp for my components shut off too, I disconnected the components rca when i was setting the gains for the sub amp. I dont think is the main power wire fuse since i get current to the amp. any idea what it might be?
As far as the ppi you prob blew the channel and power supply.
The other amp may not turn on due to damage to headunit or the other amp is causing ground problems

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sounds like you blew up your amp. Dead shorting speaker outs will do that a lot of the time (if you don't get lucky with the protection circuit kicking in). Your fuse probably didn't open because it's way too big and of course the damage to semiconductors is done in a fraction of a second where even the proper size fuse may or may not be fast enough.

Typically if you never open a fuse when you play music hard now and then it's not going to ever protect your amp from being hurt.

When I disconnect the ppi amp power and ground. the components amp should work and if it does not than the stereo is bad?
could be.. pull fuse on amp wire when u mes with power wires.. next time u set gains pull speaker wires from amp not sub box..

Update I disconnected the sub amp and still the components amp didn’t turn on. I double checked and I’m not getting power. On the battery side of the fuse I’m getting 12.4 v. on the other end of the the fuse I get 1.4v but the fuse looks fine is it the fuse or the fuse holder.

Another thing I checked was the voltage of the rca. The rca from the stereo I’m not getting any voltage for the sub. For the companents I get a reading of 2v but it’s not consistent (reads 0 or reads 2.0) playing 1hz test tone. Time for a new stereo?

Update I disconnected the sub amp and still the components amp didn’t turn on. I double checked and I’m not getting power. On the battery side of the fuse I’m getting 12.4 v. on the other end of the the fuse I get 1.4v but the fuse looks fine is it the fuse or the fuse holder.
Another thing I checked was the voltage of the rca. The rca from the stereo I’m not getting any voltage for the sub. For the companents I get a reading of 2v but it’s not consistent (reads 0 or reads 2.0) playing 1hz test tone. Time for a new stereo?
Place a piece of metal between each point of the fuse holder and test voltage which i doubt its bad unless the fuse melts onto it.

A fuse can go bad without melting the core.

As far as the rca you may have blown the rca slots that the sub amp used, which would need to be repaired.. or you can split the other comp rca, but subs dont work in stereo lol and it would cut the rca voltage in half.

You will need to go thru the entire audio setup and check and replace whats bad.

This was a budget build I had a alpine Cde-151 . Any suggestion for a stereo under $120. I have only used alpine so I’m not sure what else is ok

This was a budget build I had a alpine Cde-151 . Any suggestion for a stereo under $120. I have only used alpine so I’m not sure what else is ok
Theres nothing wrong with your headunit you used so long as you enjoyed the output.
A cheap quality unit is one they sell at walmart, its a jvc/kenwood headunit that goes for between 70-90$ brand new.

Later on if you get into building an audio system you can look into the pioneer prs80 or similar.

Do some research on your own first and come back with any questions you may have.

Id say look at others builds with the same vehicle you have to see what you interested in doing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.