Parallel Wiring Question

gabrielpanoussi

Using 2 subs single coil 4 ohms each. My question is can i run the wires from the subs both to the terminals of the amp (fig 2) or should I run a pair from the amp to the first sub then a wire rom that sub to the second ( as seen in most traditional diagrams fig 1).

Is it not electrically the same to simply wire both subs straight to the amp (same ch or mono)?

2w6at12.jpg
[/img]

If this was a choice I was making for my car, I would run two equal length and gauge wires to each sub, especially if the subs share a common air space. As long as you are using the appropriate size wire for your power and length of wire runs, both option will work.

BUT, if the wire is undersized for the power or length of run, the second sub could receive slightly less power, and with a common air space, the cone excursion from the first sub receiving more power could rob cone excursion from the second sub, slightly softening the overall bass hits.

If this was a choice I was making for my car, I would run two equal length and gauge wires to each sub, especially if the subs share a common air space. As long as you are using the appropriate size wire for your power and length of wire runs, both option will work.
BUT, if the wire is undersized for the power or length of run, the second sub could receive slightly less power, and with a common air space, the cone excursion from the first sub receiving more power could rob cone excursion from the second sub, slightly softening the overall bass hits.[/QUOTE]

That's simply not true. Where you getting your info from? If I had a 3 ft long piece of spkr wire going to my amp from sub, and the other speaker wire was a foot longer, also going to amp from sub, your not gonna hear a difference, nor will the other sub have more bass than the other....or even less power.

Most people would probably do the top one, (especially people on an already tight budget) as it normally requires less wiring and less runs / wires to tuck and hide lol.

BUT, if the wire is undersized for the power or length of run, the second sub could receive slightly less power, and with a common air space, the cone excursion from the first sub receiving more power could rob cone excursion from the second sub, slightly softening the overall bass hits.[/QUOTE]

That's simply not true. Where you getting your info from? If I had a 3 ft long piece of spkr wire going to my amp from sub, and the other speaker wire was a foot longer, also going to amp from sub, your not gonna hear a difference, nor will the other sub have more bass than the other....or even less power.
Thinking outside the realm of an informed car audio enthusiast here. Since the OP didn't state the power of the amp, the length of wires he running, or the wire gauge being used, let's assume the worst in that the OP might be using 15-feet of 20-awg wire, pushing 1000-watts, and worse, left an entire 25ft spool of wire laying inside the box running to the second sub because he didn't know better. If you've worked on or been around long enough, you'd be amazed what people will do.

I don't assume that all knowledge is common, and there are newbies trying this stuff out everyday. Based on the OP's core question alone, the answer was correct in that electrically, both wiring setups are the same, parallel.

Thinking outside the realm of an informed car audio enthusiast here. Since the OP didn't state the power of the amp, the length of wires he running, or the wire gauge being used, let's assume the worst in that the OP might be using 15-feet of 20-awg wire, pushing 1000-watts, and worse, left an entire 25ft spool of wire laying inside the box running to the second sub because he didn't know better. If you've worked on or been around long enough, you'd be amazed what people will do.

I don't assume that all knowledge is common, and there are newbies trying this stuff out everyday. Based on the OP's core question alone, the answer was correct in that electrically, both wiring setups are the same, parallel.
Or what they say...esp on a forum. I've seen it all. We're talking about speaker wire for subs...not power/ground wire....which is irrelevant.

Like SO MANY HERE, splitting hairs!!

Liked when I asked if crimping AND soldering might be better than just crimping alone! And some BONE-HEAD here had to bring up that because solder has a slightly HIGHER resistance than copper to copper physical contact alone! VERY slight, like INFINITESIMAL!!!

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.