Smell??

95 pontiac grand am and Im most positive as I remember changing them from 4 ohms to 1 ohm while they were on the gs designs amp and they did get louder. Havent touched the configuration since just moved them from one box to another. They do get seriously loud though when I have this bass boost configuration and they get slightly warm but with it off they do not get loud and the subs dont even get warm and this is after setting with DMM. Ive turned the bass boost completely off on the Headunit but I turned the output up on the low pass filter to get somewhat similar results.
Does increasing the output act as a voltage increase for the RCAs??? This is on my pioneer head unit and it has a range from 125hz and lower but it has a +6 -24 range to set it from also on the sub output....

same thing happend to me. i turned the gain all the way down, and on the h/u i i set the sub to +6db and reset my gains. i also have my low pass filter set to 80 on the headunit, and about the same on my amp. and everything is fine

same thing happend to me. i turned the gain all the way down, and on the h/u i i set the sub to +6db and reset my gains. i also have my low pass filter set to 80 on the headunit, and about the same on my amp. and everything is fine
Why did you set the sub out on the deck to +6db ?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Why did you set the sub out on the deck to +6db ?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
i had the same problem as the OP. i had to set my h/u to +6db to get oupt till i changed my crossovers and it fixed everything. so i didnt have to have my h.u sertting at +6. thats what i ment to say haha //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

i had the same problem as the OP. i had to set my h/u to +6db to get oupt till i changed my crossovers and it fixed everything. so i didnt have to have my h.u sertting at +6. thats what i ment to say haha //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
oh ok i see what you mean, I thought you left the setting at +6db and listen to it like that.

I all ways leave the sub setting on the HU at 0db and if i want more power i turn up the gain on the amp not the HU setting.
im still at a lost to what you changed??? I have my low pass at 125hz on the HU. Are you saying I should put the sub output up to +6 and then tune the gains and revert it back to normal afterwards????

im still at a lost to what you changed??? I have my low pass at 125hz on the HU. Are you saying I should put the sub output up to +6 and then tune the gains and revert it back to normal afterwards????
No, Set the HU at 0db and then set the gain setting on the amp and leave the HU at 0db. I never set the subwoofer setting on my HU past 0db, its the same thing as cranking up the gain on the amp.

No, Set the HU at 0db and then set the gain setting on the amp and leave the HU at 0db. I never set the subwoofer setting on my HU past 0db, its the same thing as cranking up the gain on the amp.
thats how I set them at first and that barely gives me any output. Maybe the DMM im using is garbage or something...i dont know...

thats how I set them at first and that barely gives me any output. Maybe the DMM im using is garbage or something...i dont know...
The best way to set the gain is to have a oscilloscope to see when it's starting to clip the waveform.

~Update, was surprised at how much attention this thread got.

Turned my bass boost off. Could barely hear a thing. It was like i had my HU on 15 from before. I'll figure it out later.

It is probably because I got too weak of an amp again. Seeing those test results showed me that I can be running a LOT more power into this sub.

annnyyyways, can you damage the sub by running too little watts?

def dont got access to that lol...
Tune it by ear //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

~Update, was surprised at how much attention this thread got.
Turned my bass boost off. Could barely hear a thing. It was like i had my HU on 15 from before. I'll figure it out later.

It is probably because I got too weak of an amp again. Seeing those test results showed me that I can be running a LOT more power into this sub.

annnyyyways, can you damage the sub by running too little watts?
Nope, you shouldnt be able to damage by running to little watts

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.