Smell coming from subwoofer(s)

A bass boost knob will turn up the bass boost, which at higher volumes will clip the signal and cause that burning smell.
So, the gain knobs and the bass knobs both have the potential to clip the signal? Alright, thanks for the information and backing me up on that fraction problem.

So, should I still start working on the gain on the actual amp, or the bass boost on the actual amp first? I guess it doesn't matter. However, I don't have the necessary tools to tell if I am actually in fact clipping the signal..

No he is right, you are wrong. What is 1/2 of 1/2 ??? it is 1/4
no no, i am not saying he is wrong. just that that is very easy to figure out. that's like going to Dunkin' Donuts and asking for a dozen donuts and the cashier saying "so that's 12 donuts right?"

no no, i am not saying he is wrong. just that that is very easy to figure out. that's like going to Dunkin' Donuts and asking for a dozen donuts and the cashier saying "so that's 12 donuts right?"
Lol. Yes. Then, they keep a running count for you, as though you can't possibly keep count ALL the way to 12!

geo

Bass boost = off.Set gains with DMM.

geo
So, the bass boost on the amp should be turned down completely and I should just mess with the Gains? I have a guy here who owns a local car audio shop. I'm not sure if he knows all about clipping etc but do you suggest going there?

Yes BAss boost off, set gains with a dmm, thats why I said ditch the knob if it is a bass boost knob.
Like Zachfeen said, if you have a BASS BOOST knob, trash it. Nothing but trouble brewing with that. If it is a REMOTE GAIN knob, keep it. Set gains with DMM with knob at maximum, with head unit at highest level you will ever listen to it at.

Then, never go above that number on the HU. As long as you do that, you should never have a problem.

geo

Yes BAss boost off, set gains with a dmm, thats why I said ditch the knob if it is a bass boost knob.
Got it, thanks for the info man. Appreciate it along with everyone else in the thread. I'm going to disconnect the bass knob, and turn it all the way down on the amp. Then mess with the gain. I have a DMM but I'm not sure how to set the gain properly with it.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Like Zachfeen said, if you have a BASS BOOST knob, trash it. Nothing but trouble brewing with that. If it is a REMOTE GAIN knob, keep it. Set gains with DMM with knob at maximum, with head unit at highest level you will ever listen to it at. Then, never go above that number on the HU. As long as you do that, you should never have a problem.

geo
Right right, I understand. I didn't realize bass knobs and gain knobs were actually different. I thought they were just named that. Anyway, I'll have to work it out with this bass adjustment and gain adjustment on the amp now.

Hey guys, for the first time in my life I smelt my speaker or speaker (not sure if it's them both or just one of them) start to burn or voice coil burning. It was after I played them pretty loud for about 3-5 minutes or so. I decided to take the car out for a quick drive and I turned it up a bit and smelt it again. I'm trying to decide what to do here. They still play and sound fine, but am I in for some trouble in the long run? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif What do you guys recommend me do?
My setup is as stated in my signature below

Does it smell like bacon cus i luv me some bacon.

I can haz a bacon woofer?

you probably tought it "smell again" because the odor is still trap in the box. his your box ported?

set the gain right and no bass boost... like everyone said

Ok, I un-hooked the bass knob and threw it away (not really) but, yes it is un-hooked. I turned the bass boost all the way down on the amp and turned the gain to around 1/4 of the way up. I hope I wont smell that **** anymore. Think that was the right thing to do?

you probably tought it "smell again" because the odor is still trap in the box. his your box ported?
set the gain right and no bass boost... like everyone said
Haha, it's been a week or two since the first occurrence of burning. I don't think I would still smell it. Good idea though.

Also, I don't mind having my gains set at a certain level and not being able to control how much knock my subwoofers have, but it's just that sometimes.. I don't want to turn the volume all the way up in order for the subs to kick. That's why I liked the knob, so I could turn it up really quick if I wanted, instead of having to go to the back of the car and mess with the gain adjustments. Any ideas for this? Thanks.

does your h/u have an adjustment for the sub channel? if so use that to add or subtract bass, without inducing clipping from a bass eq
My H/U does not have the subwoofer adjustment. It only has the "bass boost" which boosts all the speakers along with the sub output.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.