small power/ground + big amp results?

devin559

Hello people I have Pioneer Premier PRS-D2000SPL hooked up to three cvr 12s im using 8 gauge wire maybe even 10 for power im not sure I didnt know it was that big of a deal but I had a boss 3000 watt amp before hooked up the same way with same wires and it hit way harder for some reason and when I turn the gain up on the pioneer amp it doesnt do anything but when I turn the bass boost on amp up it hits a little more and when I turn the head units bass up it hits really hard but distorts my mids and highs and fried my 50 A fuse I had on the power is it because of the small power and ground wire im using not allowing me to get the full potential out of the amp? What exactly results from using to small of a power wire to a large amp?

wire can only carry so much current. 8ga is rated at 50a, 10a is likely around 40a or so. Also, the Pioneer might be a bit much on your electrical, as it likely puts out more power then the Boss did. You are trying to fill a large pool with a garden hose basically. I live in Hanford, PM me if you need any further advice.

^^^ this. it'll have you some problems
By "have you some problems", what he means is it will may save your car. Atleast you've got it fused.

OP, please do some searching and reading around on this site about what you are trying to figure out. It's been talked about a lot, it's fairly basic electrical knowledge, and you will get more responses from a search than you will from people replying to this thread.

By "have you some problems", what he means is it will may save your car. Atleast you've got it fused.
OP, please do some searching and reading around on this site about what you are trying to figure out. It's been talked about a lot, it's fairly basic electrical knowledge, and you will get more responses from a search than you will from people replying to this thread.
hah, thanks man. i meant to say it'd save his car, but either way it was covered. lol

Well, in addition to not being able to supply your amp, I suspect your amp is also very poorly tuned. Both aspects will make a difference.

What load is your amp seeing? I would suspect either 2.6 or 1.3ohm. That amp has 0g inputs and is fused at 240a. At 2.6ohm you are possibly ok with 4g, but any lower then that, I suggest 0g. Also, depending on what your electrical is like, you likely cannot supply this amp at 1.3, and perhaps not even at 2.6ohm. Its a good amp, and there is no way the Boss is on par with it if properly done.

I have it wired at 2.6 ohms im going to purchase a 0 gauge amp kit tomorrow if that doesnt help should I buy an additional battery do the big three or what do you suggest?

What car? Most likely, at 2.6, the big 3 should be enough. I always like to recommend at least a solid battery, but in your application, 0g, big 3, and amp retune should do you justice.

Ok cool its a 2006 dodge magnum v6 2.7 litre do you think it will work with just the 0 gauge to the amp for temporary or should I just wait untill I do the big 3 and battery?

Ok cool its a 2006 dodge magnum v6 2.7 litre do you think it will work with just the 0 gauge to the amp for temporary or should I just wait untill I do the big 3 and battery?
Alot of people think that 0ga is best to put on any amplifier..I say its overkill myself,and is nothing more than a PITA to get the wiring to fit into the connection terminals of the amplifier.All amplifiers have a min. recommended size of power and ground wire to be used for that specific amplifier.Ill bet that the amp that you are powering up recommends a power and ground wire to be 4ga.The big three in 0 ga will be fine, even 4ga considering the amount of power you have now, but 0ga isnt much more expensive for that application.Id recommend getting your big three done, and at the min., do 4ga for your amplifiers power supply needs with an ANL 125 amp fuse at the battery, before jumping into spending money on a $100+ battery that will do very little justice over a period of time without doing the big three, and giving the amp the proper/recommended power supply needed.Just my 0.02Cents on this matter.If wanting/thinking of upgrading above 1200 watts in the future?,then run the 0ga to the rear,for your amplifier supply needs for future use,to a fused distro block for add ons/ect, and do it once.If you are not going to do much more than 1200 watts, 4 ga is plenty big for your supply needs.

At 2.6ohm, 4g is more then enough. However, since his amp accepts 0g, my opinion is that he might as well go that route since it allows him to drop the load in the future. And your car should have a decent stock electrical system, so certainly at this point, big 3 is more advisable then a battery. Also, I'll stress again, proper amp tuning is very critical as well. Depending on what you plan to do, if you would like to seek professional help, I suggest Audio Innovations on Ashlan and Fresno St. Absolutely one of the best shops in the state.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.