Slightly complicated question about how amps handle Ohm loads

Participant count
  • Participant list

akillj
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
CA
When an amp sees an ohm load of say, 0.5 Ohms, does it overheat / go into protect from trying to push too much power?

I'm asking because I'm considering buying a used BTL n2 for my Aq2200d, the only catch is that it's a Dual 1 ohm sub. So I'd have to run on .5. I'm thinking that if I turn the gain down enough (to only push like 2k), that the amp won't heat up or blow. Is this true? Or would it still heat up from the load itself? I hope that makes sense.

You just need the proper electrical. It comes down to the amp's build quality being able to handle the lower ohm loads. I believe it's in the power supply? I could be way off though.

What matters though is, if your electrical can handle it. Because the amp can.

I've heard people say it will still heat up on .5

Which is why I'm asking that if I turn the gain down, so it's not trying to push more power, if it will still heat up anyway

My aq never got hot wired @.5 daily

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Gain is not a volume knob

My aq never got hot wired @.5 daily 

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Gain is not a volume knob

I know gain is not a volume knob, but i'm asking that if I turn the gain down, so that the amp is only pushing somewhere around 2k @ .5, will that reduce heat output?

And how long did you use it at one time? Since you have experience.

My electrical is fine, however nobody seems to be answering my question. I'm asking if the AQ2200D will heat up running on 0.5 Ohm's if used for a daily, and if so, would turning the gain down help it from heating up, as it would be pushing less power.

Daily. Did demos at my old mcd job. They loved that when I parked next to the speaker. I'd do 2 extra 100ah batts and you should be good. I just had my one extra and no alt. it held 12.4 up. Long rides I would ride full tilt regardless unless you have excellent electrical.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.