curcuit breaker failing?

Participant count
  • Participant list

sirtokesalot

im having issues with my breaker tripping. i have an 87 BMW 528e with 6 12's and 4 amps 3 amps for the subs and the 4rth amp is a 4 channel for the interior speakers. none of the stereo is original not even the wiring i redid it all due to an issue with the car i could not even use the power wires for the radio because aftermarket stereo uses more power then the stock one did. anyways the bass amps total out to 2500 watts for the subs and 450 watts on the interior speakers. Ive had the 150 amp breaker installed for about a year in this time i had it trip once bout half a year ago after i played it loud for a long while and once about 2 months ago from the same reason. 2 days ago it started tripping the breaker before it will even finish one song i cannot turn it up past 25 ( my normal play volume is between 35 and 40 depending on the3 song. Ive inspected the wiring and cant find anything visually wrong. how likely is it that the breaker its self could have failed?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are more than one style of breaker and one in particular is very sensitive to thermal fluctuations. I can't recall the brand I had installed, but it would stop working without tripping and it would need to cool off for a minute before I could listen. I replaced it with a Stinger breaker and the problem went away. I recommend replacing it with a Stinger or other known brand since they seem to use better breakers.

The more they trip the more inaccurate they get so they'll start tripping at lower and lower amperages... Also heat has a factor when it comes to them.. If they get hot (engine temps) they will start tripping. I advise against using them all together.. I prefer using fuses all together.

am i truly making 2500 watts probably not. im still running the stock alternator ive seen the voltage get down into the low 11 volt range. i have plans to redo the whole setup durring income tax time i want to build a second charging system just for the system and have the stock alternator running just the car and its electronics while the new alternator i plan to get at incometax time will run the system. ill try to change the breaker for now and see if it solves the issue. ive got an old fuse and holder around somewhere from before i bought the breaker.

well today it shut off again and when i went to reset it the breaker was not tripped this time. i wiggled the wire going into the breaker and it turned back on for a second so i went and ran it without the breaker in the line. something is definitely wrong somewhere i think maby one of the amps might be shorting out internally or something.no wires are getting hot in the time it takes for it to start acting up the amps arent even getting warm in this time ither. it will play normally for about 10 minits and then out of no where it starts drawing so much power the dash lights will almost shut off when the bass hits and it starts distoring untill i turn it back down. im now thinking that there is some kind of internal short happening in one of the amps. does this sound right to you guys?

any mechanical device can fail i deal with failed breakers in homes daily same principal use a fuse in your application if your wired correctly you wont be blowing fuses sounds like a defective breaker

well today it shut off again and when i went to reset it the breaker was not tripped this time. i wiggled the wire going into the breaker and it turned back on for a second so i went and ran it without the breaker in the line. something is definitely wrong somewhere i think maby one of the amps might be shorting out internally or something.no wires are getting hot in the time it takes for it to start acting up the amps arent even getting warm in this time ither. it will play normally for about 10 minits and then out of no where it starts drawing so much power the dash lights will almost shut off when the bass hits and it starts distoring untill i turn it back down. im now thinking that there is some kind of internal short happening in one of the amps. does this sound right to you guys?
Sounds like you dont have the power you need for all those amps needs..Low voltage/battery drainage=destroying things such as amps, and hard on the electrical needs of the vehicle as well..Upgrade your electrical with the voltage needed to maintain proper voltage for your amps, as well as for your vehicle..HO alt,big 3,and good wiring,possibly another batt,or two,and good ga wiring/fusing/clean grounding,and wire connections/solid connections

i think the power is there i just think the amp failed. i tried unhooking the biggest amp i had for a test ride and still had the drawing issue then i came home hooked that amp back up and unhooked the second biggest amp and the problem vanished. my Memphis 1000 watt mono block failed well sort of it works for a song or 2 and then starts drawing power like crazy. so now im looking for a new amp. i already ordered a new breaker its just the wait game now. i do have plans to get a new alternator at income tax time and redo the wiring. the big 3 is done but they just dont make a hi out alternator for my car so when i do get an alternator im going to have to fab up a bracket for it id like to have the system on its own charging circuit and battery and i will when the time is right cash flow is not good. and i simply cannot afford the parts needed to do it now.

t

Sounds like you dont have the power you need for all those amps needs..Low voltage/battery drainage=destroying things such as amps, and hard on the electrical needs of the vehicle as well..Upgrade your electrical with the voltage needed to maintain proper voltage for your amps, as well as for your vehicle..HO alt,big 3,and good wiring,possibly another batt,or two,and good ga wiring/fusing/clean grounding,and wire connections/solid connections
low voltage destroying most modern amps is a myth altho your suggestions are good and he should do those upgrades most amps noadays can succesfully take 9v of input granted they will run hot and go into protect but destroying no

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sirtokesalot

sirtokesalot
connecticut
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
dumpbeast86