Skar ZVX-18 making a rubbing sound? please help.

SORRY FOR THE WALL OF TEXT.

I finally did it! I found a way to shove my Skar ZVX-18 into my incredibly shallow mustang trunk.

Unfortunately, there is this terrible rubbing sound(and its loud!) coming from it at high volumes on LOW notes.

Now i suspect its one of two things and i'm looking for some clarification or who knows, i know sure as sh*t i don't.

Firstly, the ZVX-18 has about 10 inches of mounting depth straight down in the enclosure. The woofer is firing straight up. And i built the enclosure to be only 13 inches tall so i could fit this thing through the back wall. anyway, since the ZVX has 10 inches of depth inside and 1.5 inches of the 13 accounts for MDF that means that the bottom of the motor is 1.5 inches away from the enclosure wall. The box is a sealed 2.9 cubic ft which is .1 off recommended.

Second, My current amp is a Pioneer 600RMS running at 2ohms. Maybe its a power problem???

600RMS trying to run a 1500RMS woofer? Would that be it?

Lastly, this sub is extremely cone-stiff and it hasn't even seen an hour of play-time BUT it has sat out in the open for months.

I'm just trying to give as much info as possible.

Weren't you that guy that was **** talking JL so much a while back because of the price? How's that same quality for cheaper philosophy working out for ya? Lol.

Check the tinsel leads and the spider of the sub. You may be running into an issue at high excursion where you're getting mechanical noise from the motor / soft parts. See if anything has come loose or is tapping when the cone is moving. Might help to do some free air testing to see if you can replicate it. Also, photos of the driver assembly would be nice.

Funny, i've heard the same **** from a W6, so wtf are you going on about? So, i guess by your terms Sundown ***** too considering the same guy who designs Skars subs also designs Sundowns so... But you can't say that, can you. Considering how stupid you would sound stating that Sundown makes bad subs.

Again, with this forum... ****.

But atleast you responded with useful info, i guess??? Even though i already free aired it... No popping...

Highly doubt your getting high excursion out of that with 600rms check the box for leaks could be air moving in and out of the sealed box. Watch it play to see if it's hitting anything in the trunk. Pull it out and free air it to help pin point the noise.

Pics?

Could very well be the enclosure.

Also....could be something inside the trunk rattling thinking its the sub.

Doubt very much that the amp is the issue....as your feeding a 1500 watt driver 600 watts, your underpowering it. Not saying it's fine or not fine but just pointing that out.

Something else to do is to run a series of test tones and islolate which frequencies "rubbing" and at what power levels. Doing that and free airing those specific frequencies will isolate if it's the sub or not. If you've already tested like you said and are confident it's not a driver issue, then it's the box or a resonant frequency for something in your car. I know 35hz in my car sounds like pure hell because the rear hatch resonates right there. I can't even hear the bass and it sounds like something is breaking, not your normal rattle. But its the **** door.

I use to own a zvx that woofer was crazy for the price. Is your box mounted well? Never had a problem with the zvx but if your driving quick over bumps or turning quickly you might have shifted the pole a little bit. For what its worth i had horrible port noise on my zvx 18 but nothing i would classify as rubbing. The air came out inconsistantly and would make a strong "f" sound.

Alrighty then. So, in my random purusing of the interwebs, I found a video of a Skar ZVX with an issue that sounds like it might be what you're hearing.

I read, granted not very reputable, that this is a common problem for the ZVX line do to a spider slap issue. Looking at the design, it could also be the height of the round (odd choice for a high end woofer) tinsel leads that are sewn in. Another slight possibility is a non-linear throw causing the coil to actually impact the motor assembly. I doubt that one though. If the all of two comments on the video are any indicator, this may actually be a relatively common issue with this line. The hearsay is that it occurs starting at 14mm of excursion. I could see you hitting that with about 600 watts of power on lows note in a sealed set up.

Just a thought. Let us know what you come up with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.