Simple Component Install in a Dodge Challenger

the727kid
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
St. Pete, FL
Just about finished it all up today, got a few more things to touch up but for the most part it is done.

First off thanks to Matt at MCOR Audio for giving me a hell of a deal and JL for coming through in the clutch and sending me a free t-shirt!

The goal of the install was to get much improved sound while keeping it stealthy. I choose to go with JL Audio C5-650 Components powered off a Sundown 100.2 still with the factory head unit. The mids were placed into the stock locations, with baffles made onto the 6x9 brackets and the tweets placed into the kicks. Just about all the wires were techflexed, heatshrunk, and labeled for cleaniness and ease of install. The amplifier and crossovers were placed inside the stock thing in the trunk.

On to the pics:

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

install011.jpg

install013.jpg

install014.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

Still have a few things to put back together and need to still buy shorter RCA's and re-route them under the amp but that will be for my next day off!

Not even tuning or breaking in the speakers, they sound amazing. I have never done tweeters down there before and I couldn't be happier. The staging is right where I want it and the tweeters are nice and smooth. The mid-bass is extremely strong, way past my expectations and would tear my door apart if I got around to sound deadning the doors. I haven't had a lot of time to really pick apart the sound yet though.

Where would you of placed the tweets? They sound awsome down there, I hate the sound of tweeters up on the dash and I didn't want to place them in the a-pillars.

Where would you of placed the tweets? They sound awesome down there, I hate the sound of tweeters up on the dash and I didn't want to place them in the a-pillars.
Oh, I'm no expert or anything, but for imaging and sound staging, the tweeter should be separated from the mid, usually in such a way that it makes the music sound like its coming from in front of you.

A-pillars probably would have been the choice of many. Usually people use some tape or something like that and try out a few possibility's of tweeter placement, then pick the one they like the most.

I would imagine in your setup, the sound stage is lower, and it sounds like its coming from near the floor, or your knees.

If your happy with it that's fine, not everyone has to follow the norms, if you like it, good... enjoy.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Oh, I'm no expert or anything, but for imaging and sound staging, the tweeter should be separated from the mid, usually in such a way that it makes the music sound like its coming from in front of you.
A-pillars probably would have been the choice of many. Usually people use some tape or something like that and try out a few possibility's of tweeter placement, then pick the one they like the most.

I would imagine in your setup, the sound stage is lower, and it sounds like its coming from near the floor, or your knees.

If your happy with it that's fine, not everyone has to follow the norms, if you like it, good... enjoy.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I run horns and they are buried under the dash. Soundstage is high above the dash, psychoacoustics FTW. By the way, I used to run a traditional comp set in the car before (basically the same car) and the tweets in the kicks like that sounded best and it also staged better as well.

To the OP good and well thought out install, dont let these guys beat you up.

for his install being passive, he would need to keep the tweeter as CLOSE to the woofer as possible. running active is different..

I appreciate the input guys.

Brandon, you should try this sometime and see how it turns out for you. (Just use 3m tape for the tweets just see what it is like). The imaging and staging is great for zero tuning IMO. The sound comes from about center dash level, and that is with the tweets at reference level. Even with the tweets down there at +3dB they begin to over take the mids a bit.

The stock set-up involved co-axials in the doors and trust me the sound stage was at my knees lol. These tweeters are designed to perform extremely well off-axis and that they do. With all that said, I am extremely happy with how it turned out. I used to run horns, while they were great and got super loud, this set up right out of the box sounds excellent and exceded my expectations and goal of great sound in a simple install.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.