Should I use a crossover or EQ???

Participant count
  • Participant list

venom107
10+ year member

The Graveyard Shift
I want my highs to get just a little less bass in them because my Type R's will hit harder but I cant turn the bass up on my HU without distoring my front and rear speakers. What should I do to filter out low bass in the speakers? I dont care about midbass in the speakers and thats why I got JL audio 6.5's. I also want to get a stronger signal to my subs. What should I do? Get another crossover cause the ones on my amps just dont cut it or get an EQ?

EQ is your bet.. if you get a crossover, you won't get any low signal on your speakers, all the lows will go to the subs..

Originally posted by venom107 I want my highs to get just a little less bass in them because my Type R's will hit harder but I cant turn the bass up on my HU without distoring my front and rear speakers. What should I do to filter out low bass in the speakers? I dont care about midbass in the speakers and thats why I got JL audio 6.5's. I also want to get a stronger signal to my subs. What should I do? Get another crossover cause the ones on my amps just dont cut it or get an EQ?
I'm not understanding the question.. Do you have RCA pre-amp outs running to the sub amp? If so, you should be able to turn down the bass on the HU without affecting the subs.. At least, I'm under the impression that the pre-amp outputs aren't supposed to be affected with bass/treble adjustments at the HU, they are meant to be tweeked at/before/after the amp.. If your RCAs are working as I think they should be, you can just turn down the bass on the HU a little, so you don't send so much to the highs..

I don't think you can get a stronger signal to your sub amp without upgrading your HU.. any magnifying of the signal is gonna degrade it, and that's the job of the amplifier anyway.. You can turn up your gains to get more power to the subs for the same input signal strength, but over a certian point and you will run the amp too hard. it should be adjusted to match your input signal.. if you aren't getting enough sound from your subs (and everything is working as it should) you need a bigger amp...

If you have a line-out-converter running (meaning you are tapped into your speaker wires for signal to the amp) or have high level inputs on the amp (so adjusting the HU does affect your amp signal), the first thing I would suggest would be to get a HU with pre-amp outs.. I was gonna have to mess with things like you seem to need to, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.. got a cheaper HU with pre-amp outs.. Though, if you what a 'fast' cheap way to cut down the very low bass from the speakers and still have the bass all the way up on the HU, you can see about putting a resistor inline on the speakers you want to cut the bass from.. They are basically cheap inline filters.. There are calculators out there that will help you figure out what size resistor you need to accomplish your task.. a single resistor is basically a 6dB slope, 2nd order has a resistor and coil, 12 dB slope.. 2 resistors and a coil is 24dB slope (I think those are all correct).. I'd say just use the 1 resistor (for each speaker) and start it a touch higher freqency than you intend to cut..

Hope that helps...

I have RCA Inputs running to both my sub amp and my mids and highs amp so ther is no problem there. I dont have a problem with my subs just too much bass to the mids and the highs. I can turn the bass way up but if I do it distorts my speakers not my Subs and thats why I wanted to find out how to filter out lower frequencies to my speakers. Thanks for the help.

A xover directs certain frequencies to the amps while filterering out the others. An EQ emphasizes or tones down certain freqency bands.

Get the xover first and then if you want to tweek it some more, get an EQ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.