Should i run w/o muffler?

Astyl
10+ year member

Car Audio Enthusiast
Bedford, NH
Alright guys, i have a Flowmaster Super 40 that i have sitting around that i havent gotten to install yet, but right now ive got the stock muffler on.. Basically, me and afew of my crazy buddys are throwing around the idea of sawing off my stock muffler and running straightpipes until i finally decide to put the Flowmaster on

Is this a bad idea? if i ran no muffler would my car be redicilously loud or toleratable?

Here is a video of a monte, running no muffler and has the same engine as my car, it dosent seem crazy loud, but sounds pretty badass

Straight pipes are also illegla in some cities/states. Check out your local laws and regulations befor eyou persue this. If you decide you care not, then it's up to you I guess. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

its not illegal where i live, theyres a guy that goes to my school that has a 7.5 liter V8 diesel pickup truck with straightpipes, no cat / resonator / muffler, no nothing and hes only gotten one warning for noise so far

its not illegal where i live, theyres a guy that goes to my school that has a 7.5 liter V8 diesel pickup truck with straightpipes, no cat / resonator / muffler, no nothing and hes only gotten one warning for noise so far
Just because he does so, does not mean that they pass emmissions.

he dosent have to pass emissions, his truck is old as anything, back before they even had cats , so its not required on his truck

after cutting the pipes, it is best to test them by sitting in a closed garage with the motor running.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

You have to check emissions laws in your state. If you run without a muffler on a car thats past 96 at least in New York there is no chance of ever passing the emissions testing. I have a 94 so I don't need to worry about it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.