Should i run active or have rear fill?

Participant count
  • Participant list

stay_high
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Florida
Installing some I.D. CXS comps on a PPI900.4 with a clarion cz702 HU. The HU and the amp both have the ability to run components active. But my stock speakers in the back are terrible and practically blown. So should I the comps with the passive crossover then have the 2 rear channels open for my rear 6.5s in the door for rear fill? Or use all 4 channels of the PPi amp to run the CXS comps active, then mabey just have no rear fill or run them off HU power? SUggestions?

You can't use all the RCA preouts on the head unit and still use the internal amplifier. You would get better sound up front by running the components active and not bothering with the rear speakers, but the CZ702 lacks separate left and right tuning to really dial in your imaging. This could be interpreted as easier to tune since there is less to fiddle with. It depends on what you want from your sound in the car.

you can run your rears of the headunit if you wanted too, wont sound good tho, that's even if you can hear them. i'd go active myself...... or if you have time, go passive and active and see what you like the sound of best

you can run your rears of the headunit if you wanted too, wont sound good tho, that's even if you can hear them. i'd go active myself...... or if you have time, go passive and active and see what you like the sound of best
Mylows runs his setup like this OP try asking him

So can i or can i not use all the hu preouts and still use its internal amp? And why it sound bad? Im not concerned with hearing the rears my self i just something for whoevers sittin back there to listen to. Also what exactly would i be getting out of running active? Just better imaging or better sq and loudness?

i always choose front active over passive + rear fill when given the choice.

anyone who sits in back will hear the front speakers just fine, though you may want to turn the sub level down. rear seats usually **** even with speakers back there.

i always choose front active over passive + rear fill when given the choice.
anyone who sits in back will hear the front speakers just fine, though you may want to turn the sub level down. rear seats usually **** even with speakers back there.
I have never ran an active setup before and dont know a lot about it. Is the only difference imaging?

I have never ran an active setup before and dont know a lot about it. Is the only difference imaging?
With good tuning and so on(there's more to it than just tuning) you can expect better tonality, less fatigue from extended listening, and more that I'm not thinking of at the moment. When you've heard good imaging in a car your question will be "How can I make my imaging better?". It's one of those elements of car audio that make it a lot of fun, especially when you listen to music that really takes advantage of it because of excellent recording and mixing techniques.

With good tuning and so on(there's more to it than just tuning) you can expect better tonality, less fatigue from extended listening, and more that I'm not thinking of at the moment. When you've heard good imaging in a car your question will be "How can I make my imaging better?". It's one of those elements of car audio that make it a lot of fun, especially when you listen to music that really takes advantage of it because of excellent recording and mixing techniques.
Thinking about just running passive... i can always switch it up if i feel the need.

the main advantage is taking control of crossover points and the HUGE benefit that can give to tonality and overall sound quality.

the other advantage is level control which greatly helps with imaging. when active you need to give the tweeters much less power than the woofers.

another benefit is improved system efficiency since you eliminate passive components that waste power.

i have a very nice set of components with some outstanding passive crossovers and i choose to not use them.

the main advantage is taking control of crossover points and the HUGE benefit that can give to tonality and overall sound quality.
the other advantage is level control which greatly helps with imaging. when active you need to give the tweeters much less power than the woofers.

another benefit is improved system efficiency since you eliminate passive components that waste power.

i have a very nice set of components with some outstanding passive crossovers and i choose to not use them.
Good to know. Well ill roll with the CXS passive crossover for a bit then try to go active in a few months when i get bored of em haha.

You'll hook em up, and love it, and say "i don't know what they were so bent out of shape about this sounds awesome", then you'll start fine tuning for a while, and finally build the strength to unhook them, then suddenly you hear a difference in detail, staging, imaging, and dimension in your sound system that you didn't have before.

Noooooooooo

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

You'll hook em up, and love it, and say "i don't know what they were so bent out of shape about this sounds awesome", then you'll start fine tuning for a while, and finally build the strength to unhook them, then suddenly you hear a difference in detail, staging, imaging, and dimension in your sound system that you didn't have before.
Noooooooooo

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
ITs all good, itl give me something to look forward to lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.