Should an accessory fuse work when the car is off?

Participant count
  • Participant list

crreed55
10+ year member

CT
I'm trying to install a PA System, and from what I've heard, if connect the positive wire to an accessory fuse in the fuse box and ground the negative, it will not drain the battery since it will turn off with the car. However, I tried this today and it still worked, even when the car was completely off. I just don't want to bolt it in to find out that it's draining the battery and I have to fix it.

Will it be okay or do I need to install a toggle switch?

Depends on the vehicle. Accessories like cig lighter don't turn off with ignition. But the radio circuit will. Keep poking around and you'll find an appropriate circuit to use.

Many vehicles made in the last 10 years or so are using a data system to trigger accessories, and the power at the interior fuse box is constant at all times. This includes the radio fuse, which used to be the go-to fuse to tap to add a small accessory.

Then how do I install the toggle switch?

The Speaker has the negative/positive wires. The toggle switch has the negative/positive wires. How do I power the speaker with a positive/ground AND hook it up to the toggle switch??????????

Speaker? You said you were installing a PA system. Wire the + power wire to the switch and the other switch terminal to the PA power input.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.