ShankyMcPimp Ride - Scion Xb 2006 Newbie Needs Help

Nope want great sound and quality. Thanks so much for taking time to write back. Will need to read up on hi-low level converter. Newbie here. Will do though. Any pref on tweeters mid ranges. ? How do I match up amps and speakers?
I like focals (PS 165) I am running those now, I would make a selection from there Performance grade.

For every speaker or (component speakers two speakers being powered by one channel) you are going to need a channel from an amplifier. The most basic way to match what you need is to have an amp that can send the right amount of power to each speaker/subwoofer (RMS). There are a few 5 channel amps that should be able to power that system but I wouldn't recommend alpine for SQ.

Basically the 4 front speakers of your build would run off of one channel (if you are going to use component speakers which is definately the way to go) so for the stock speaker positions you would need 4 channels and one channel for a sub. Bare minium, of course your options are endless...

Thanks EVERYONE FOR YOUR THOUGHTS!!!! Firstly, before your read further... I apologize for so many questions... I am sure some are foolish...

I have put components, pieces and parts of my possible build below. Questions for the day are to help this newb deaden the sound of the large car panels and to improve the sound quality and how to match speakers to amps (which I read / interpret) from the forum...I am not an electrical wiz... I will try to ID a shop to install my components.

Questions For The Day:

Sound Deadening Metal Shaking (how to prevent, minimize)

Matching speakers to amps and (what the ohm differences people are talking about - why low vs. high ohm... quality sounds improve with increased ohms?

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts. I am not totally there yet but am in the learning process. I checked out the ZA amps. GREAT stuff here! Now to pick out an amp that matches the speakers...not quite sure about matching speakers with amps, 1 ohm vs. 4, 6 ohm etc. Also, this car has the sound baffling of tissue paper, I am thinking with big panels of metal, I am going to need to find a way to deaden the panels from ruining the sound? Thoughts?

Amp: Zed Audio Leviathan

Sub: TC Sounds Epic 12" DVC Subwoofer 293-650 / Vs. Orphan 8's (what would be benefits/limitations of one vs. another....

Mids: ?

Wiring: Sub's vs. Mid-Range

Fomat Tweeter?

Cross-overs Needed?

Capacitor? Y/N why?/whynot? I see much back and forth on this topic and the need for capacitors

Extra Battery? Y/N? Type?

There is ALOT of room the rear of the xB's. I had an 06 and it went through multiple stereo installs. The upside is you can fit a large format tweeter in the dash locations EASILY and it will be the best option if you are willing to do an actively amplified system. As for door locations, the max depth is just a hair over 3'' and that will let you install most drives without issue. Here are some pics of my old xB to get your creative juices flowing:

Just a pic of my xB at base housing in Germany:

CloseSideSmall.jpg

Triple JL 10W3 install:

install.jpg

Pair of Orion P15's:

DSC00332-1.jpg

Six Polk 12's:

DSC02363-1.jpg

All of the subwoofers were in the recommended enclosures as per the manufacturer.

Can you tell me more about your build? which large format tweeters... what about mid-ranges for doors? any thoughts about which manufacturer you would recommend? I am thinking about zed audio due to recomendation... I want clean power so I am thinking their Dreadnought - ZED Audio 4-Channel 900W RMS Amplifier, and Minotaur for Sub... not sure what the RA unit is for... yet. Products

did you have to do anything to the door panels with sound deadening? THANK YOU FOR PUTTING THESE UP AND POSTING BACK!!!

Thank you for your post.... I am reading each and will do some research. I am looking into a 4 channel and single channel...at the moment Zed.... I wanted to stick with stock head unit to keep the car stock looking. I have been warned there are dangers to this. suggestions for SQ head unit with blue tooth, removable front panel ...also, I want solid quality but some value here. what is a good non-comp head unit that is a solid buy for the money?

Can you tell me more about your build? which large format tweeters... what about mid-ranges for doors? any thoughts about which manufacturer you would recommend? I am thinking about zed audio due to recomendation... I want clean power so I am thinking their Dreadnought - ZED Audio 4-Channel 900W RMS Amplifier, and Minotaur for Sub... not sure what the RA unit is for... yet. Products
did you have to do anything to the door panels with sound deadening? THANK YOU FOR PUTTING THESE UP AND POSTING BACK!!!
I used a pair of Morel MDT-29 large format tweeters from Parts Express. As far as mids, I had Focal 165KF's and then switched to JL ZR 6.5's. I preferred the JL mids, they had better midbass and were cleaner. You can also buy a component set and replace the tweeters with large format tweets. The impedance difference will change the tweeter crossover point, but 2-way crossovers usually have a very high tweeter crossover point so no worries there.

I did deaden the entire vehicle and it helped worlds in that little tin can LOL. It was very easy work since the interior comes out really easy.

If you are looking at Zed amps, the combo you listed will work or you could use a Leviathan and bridge channels 5 and 6 for the subs. 600 RMS will be plenty of power if you aren't trying to win SPL comps. If you want a very stout subs that takes up little space, try the Alpine Type-S 15'' sub. It only needs 2 cubic feet and is very efficient. I have a single 15'' in my Mini Cooper without losing much space at all in a custom fiberglass box. If you are willing to loose the spare and fiberglass that area, you won't loose much space at all.

New Image Links: Postimage.org / gallery - IMG 0304, IMG 0310, IMG 0326, Car 1, Car 2, Car 3, 1337187150 sheep rams fisherman

I hope I don' t miss anything... You all have been so great with your help. here is what I have come up with however I need to loose $ 900.00 off my price for the system. big costs are the JL 6.5 speakers. I want quality but I should be able to do this for 2000.00. HELP? Also, need help wiring these up and how to do so (ohms, channel etc?). HELP again. THANKS SO MUCH ALL! Lastly, what do i put my subwoofer in. Do I need to have a custom box made to make sure it is tuned? Anything else I am missing? Can I do this by my self?

Car: 2006 Scion Xb Stereo System Build for Feedback

Wire Guage Needed?

Crossovers Needed?

How would I hook these up? 4 ohm? 2 ohm?

Sound Baffling: How to thoroughly gut and eDead your xB...13 MEG of images - Scionlife.com

Material: 2 Rolls Dynamat = $ 330.00

Orange Squares – 2 x Morel MDT -29 Large Format Tweeters = $ 110.00

Red Circles 6” Speakers x 4 (2 right/2 left) These are Certain: JL ZR 6.5’s = $ 1200.00

Purple 1 12” Subwoofer (what box do I need to buy/have made?) = TC Sounds Epic 12" DVC Subwoofer

= $ 200.00 + $ 200.00 box cost? = $ 400.00

6 Channel Amp: Zed Audio Leviation - III = $ 800.00

Sub Amp: Zed Audio Minotar = $ 600.00?

Pictures of car and amps included.....thanks again....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.