"Shallow" mount sub options for 2012 Tundra

Participant count
  • Participant list

The Schill
10+ year member

Hi Everyone,

I have been out of the car audio game for years and am considering getting back in. I have a 2012 Tundra Crewmax and it seems like my options are somewhat limited. I have searched a ton and it seems like JL, RF, Dayton, and Alpine get some love, but it also seems like this class of subs is lower RMS (obvious reasons) or pricey (hello JL).

I have ran RE, memphis, Diamond, JL, Kicker, etc in the past. One of my favorite setups was 2 RE SE 15s (older version), but recently sold these since there was no way they would fit.

I dont want to lose too much backseat leg room, but I am open to listening to options that may require a couple of clicks forward. A smaller depth "normal" sub would be interesting. I have done some research on this as well. I would love to make an older version 10SX D2 work, but I cant seem to find any.

I know JL is love or hate; the TW5s look nice, but I have trouble with that price tag - also seem to see good and bad reviews. The TW3s get a good amount of love, but I have an older RE 12.1 amp and am worried that may be too much for them (1200 @ 1 ohm). I have usually gone with 15s, but I am thinking 10s or 12s are going to be the ticket.

Also open to hearing opinions on ported vs sealed - Tundra Crewmax experience would be nice to hear.

Looking for a SQL setup.

I have not focused on a new HU yet. Piece by piece.

Thanks in advance!

I’d look into the sundown sld series.
I wouldn’t worry too much about over powering any good sub with a 1200 watt amp. Even if it ends up being a little too much for whatever sub you can always turn the gain down. Sundown is know for being able to handle more power than their rms rating. plus impedance rise You’d be fine on most quality 600 plus rms sub in a well designed box on your amp imo.
Definitely ported in a pickup truck or anything really when going for “sql”

I’d look into the sundown sld series.
I wouldn’t worry too much about over powering any good sub with a 1200 watt amp. Even if it ends up being a little too much for whatever sub you can always turn the gain down. Sundown is know for being able to handle more power than their rms rating. plus impedance rise You’d be fine on most quality 600 plus rms sub in a well designed box on your amp imo.
Definitely ported in a pickup truck or anything really when going for “sql”

Would you say the sld series is a better option than the SD-4?

Would you say the sld series is a better option than the SD-4?
The sd series is a great sub but they are designed for sq with using a sealed box in mind. It’s a underhung design (not exactly know for handling a lot of power. More of a sq design ya know). Thinking that’s not exactly what you’re looking for.
I haven’t modeled either sub but the sld should handle your power and work well in a good designed well built ported enclosure (ie with your amp and vehicle in mind)
The sd can work in a ported box as well but sundown doesn’t recommend it in a ported enclosure.

The sd series is a great sub but they are designed for sq with using a sealed box in mind. It’s a underhung design (not exactly know for handling a lot of power. More of a sq design ya know). Thinking that’s not exactly what you’re looking for.
I haven’t modeled either sub but the sld should handle your power and work well in a good designed well built ported enclosure (ie with your amp and vehicle in mind)
The sd can work in a ported box as well but sundown doesn’t recommend it in a ported enclosure.

Well you certainly got me to look at many other options for "shallow" subs this weekend. I appreciate the info on the Sundown SLD option - I do like these. I have seen a few posts about truck cabs not liking sealed enclosures; is this a fact or is it still just that ported is louder? I have run sealed and ported in the past, but both in an SUV. Like I mentioned in the my first post, I really like the RE SE 15's sealed (also did not want to sacrifice all of my cargo room). The JL TW3s are appealing due to their mounting depth. It seems like most boxes I have looked at are still limited as well. I am learning that this is the world I live in with a crewmax.

I have not inquired about a custom box yet, but I will. My amp would be perfect for two of the SLD 10s / 12s, but wondering about the box size and how it would impact my back seat. While the TW3s would also be good, they are more expensive and I am somewhat concerned about the 400RMS rating. I could see them being underrated, but don't want to be wrong with that price tag.

I have searched the "recommended pre fab" box makers and there are not too many. Are there any that you have seen and like?

The SLD line is supposed to be the true replacement for the SD-2. The SD-3 and SD-4 are more SQ while the SLD is more of a SQL sub like the SD-2 was. CompRT is a shallow if you don’t mind Kicker. Too bad image dynamics never came out with the shallow series yet it’s still on the website and about six months ago they said they’re still working on them

Well you certainly got me to look at many other options for "shallow" subs this weekend. I appreciate the info on the Sundown SLD option - I do like these. I have seen a few posts about truck cabs not liking sealed enclosures; is this a fact or is it still just that ported is louder? I have run sealed and ported in the past, but both in an SUV. Like I mentioned in the my first post, I really like the RE SE 15's sealed (also did not want to sacrifice all of my cargo room). The JL TW3s are appealing due to their mounting depth. It seems like most boxes I have looked at are still limited as well. I am learning that this is the world I live in with a crewmax.

I have not inquired about a custom box yet, but I will. My amp would be perfect for two of the SLD 10s / 12s, but wondering about the box size and how it would impact my back seat. While the TW3s would also be good, they are more expensive and I am somewhat concerned about the 400RMS rating. I could see them being underrated, but don't want to be wrong with that price tag.

I have searched the "recommended pre fab" box makers and there are not too many. Are there any that you have seen and like?
When you say impact your back seat what exactly do you mean? Are they not going under the rear seat? That sure would make things easier as far as the box if not lol. I assumed it was going underneath the rear seat.
From my experience with my truck,underneath the rear seat,sealed wasn’t great. Ideally you’d want the subs firing forward and port on the passenger side. I know firing forward isn’t the easiest thing to accomplish under a rear seat in some trucks. I was barely able to get 8s firing forward in my truck but it ended up being worth the effort. I had sealed down firing and ported up firing prior. The forward firing box has by far the best sq in my truck.

I would imagine based on you liking sealed you might like a lower tuned ported box like around 30hz vs 35 hz up but really depends on the available airspace,subs,goals,and type of music. Get the box right and I’m sure it’ll preform to your liking. Get it wrong and it’ll be meh. Sealed will be meh in a truck regardless imo.

As far as a prefab box idk I build my own enclosures so I don’t really look at them but if you find one you can always provide a link and get some opinions. It’ll probably be difficult to find a good one.

Personally if I couldn’t build I’d spend some money on a custom enclosure. I’d even trade off some of my budget on the subs to get them in the best enclosure as possible. Enclosure is at least,if not more,half the battle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.