HELP! Subwoofer vibrating nonstop after locking the car.

i2ox

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey. I have a problem in my current Audi. I have an external subwoofer + amplifier installed in the trunk and every time I turn the car off and lock it, then after some time the sub starts to vibrate and won't stop until the battery is dead. It's not like a quiet and small vibration, my whole trunk lid shakes. The problem is definitely not in the sub and amp because I have had three different sets and the problem has been with all of them.

The battery is in the trunk, below the spare wheel. I have a + wire coming from the battery and a ground wire from the floor of the trunk, under a bolt.
The RCAs are coming through a line output converter from the factory amplifier wires. The remote wire has also been taken from the factory amplifier wiring harness. (ALL USING A RIGHT DIAGRAM).

I have noticed that the amp does not turn off when the radio is turned off and the car locked. I have to pull out the RCA wires from the external amplifier every time I leave the car so the battery wouldn't go dead due to the sub vibrating constantly.

What could be the problem here? RCA wires next to a lot of other wires? Should I take the remote somewhere else? 12V, ground, RCAs and remote being very close to each other?

It sounds like you have a problem with the wiring. Could be as huberoy mentioned, the remote wire. Could also be a set of bad rca's. I know that from experience. Try replacing the rca's.

When you disconnect the rcas, does the amp power off? This would be something new and strange to me. I had an '03 Grand Am that would use the oem system for the warning chimes. Since I spliced from the oem amp for signal and remote when I installed a sub combo, it would drain my battery overnight. It went away when I changed the stereo and used an install kit with built in chime. So as previous posts said, it may be your remote location.

If the amp powers off when unplugging rca's, thats bad wiring. Did you wire the radio yourself or use adapter kits? I had a similar problem when i installed my in-line converter.

No, the amp didn't turn off when disconnecting the RCAs.

I got it "fixed" by getting the remote from an empty fuse slot and then putting a ON-OFF switch under the dashboard near the pedals. It seems that on Audi A5 this is the only option when you want the sub to play while the engine and ignition is off and only the radio on. There are only fuses that power on when the ignition is on and there are ones that are on all the time even when the key is not in ignition. Checked all the fuses on the car with a "12v lamp-screwdriver" or whatever it is in in english and also looked at numerous wiring diagrams etc..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.