Several issues with Phoenix gold amp please help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

6inarow

Reva SD
I obtained a amp from a freind for doing him a few favors. It was on his kicker 12s in a sealed box at 2 ohms. It's a Phoenix Gold SR2 I think.. Pictures attached. I wired it up for two ohms into my kicker comps in a 35hz vented box. My problems are as stated:

Static noise in subs, its at a fixed volume and unnoticeable if I turn the volume up its only heard when I'm not playing music.

I have the gain all the way up and it seems to be fine no distortion. An experienced ear told me they sounded fine.

Static noise does not go away when I connect the RCAs and it exists with the truck turned off and on. (Running)

Subs seem to be getting really warm when I play anything with a ton of bass. I hear no distorting but I can smell them, smells like burning MDF and voice coil. (Turning bass down on head unit helped)

I'm stumped. Don't know what to do..

I have zero gauge wire everywhere and the biggest wire that will fit in my subs terminals..

clipping for sure, turn the gain down and all the bass boost ect off and down to 0........ tune it again from there.... also check your earth for the amp is metal on metal not metal on paint :p

It's a very cheap amp so the static is probably just nothing of concern. What I am concerned about is how bad it is to have your gain at full. Your subs are clipping and they are being slowly burned out. If you subs get hot as easy as it sounds and you can smell them than clipping is happening. Even if you only have a line out it should be most likely 2v pre outs so the gain shouldn't be higher than 3/4th's of the pot at most. I would just use a dmm though because guessing is never a good thing.

Okay, the amp isn't bolted down to the cab yet, but has 0 gauge wire going to a very solid ground point.. Looks like this. I want as much bass out as possible, I'm just stumped how they are getting hot and I can't hear any distortion. They are incredibly loud.. Painfully loud, they just get hot when I bang on them.. Any advice there? How should I go about tuning with a DMM?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.