Setup Questions

tnedet

I'm brand new to car audio and I only know the basics of it. I'm looking to put two 12's in my mustang and i picked a set up out, I want to know what you guys think and if i'm looking at stuff that wont work well together/wont work at all. Bare with me as i'm a rookie. Here is the stuff i'm looking at. Enclosure: Sound Ordnance Bass Bunker Ported Dual 12" Subwoofers: Kicker CVR124 12"s and finally the Amp: Power Acoustik RZ1-2300D. Tried to give links but it won't let me. I am pretty sure about the kickers, but please feel free to give me suggestions on how i could make this setup better. I am on about a $500-$600 budget and im looking for a loud and dependable setup that wont blow every year. Thanks in advance, Tyson.

I wouldn't go with cvr subs personally, they don't sound all that great to me, but if you like them don't let me stop you... It's all about what YOU want to put your time and money into afterall... & if you want something that will last you then stay away from power acoustic amps, they are very power hungry & inefficient... Whatever you decide to go with do not get some pre-fabbed ready made box, look & ask around for help on here there are many many very good builders on this site... The enclosure is KEY to a subwoofer setup so don't cheap out on this. Also, Be sure to run good & adequate power & ground wiring for your amplifier(s) & do your big 3 upgrade, this will save you a lot of unnecessary headaches... Good luck to you, we are here to help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

what subs would you suggest? i was kind of worried about the amp im glad you pointed that out, ive never seen that name among the big ones. ill keep looking for amps, i have plenty of time and i really dont wanna rush this and have a crappy sounding system.

okay.. ive done some research and looking around. what do you guys think about 2 obsidian 12's with a 1600w rms hifonics amp in a custom ported box.
I have 2 obsidian 15's on a 2100 watt hifonics amp and it slams. You will be way more happy with that then you would have been with the first setup you mentioned.

yea stay away from all power acoustik amps except for the BAMF/5500d. those amps are not so bad, it would be the only amp "MADE TODAY" that i would use from them.

okay.. ive done some research and looking around. what do you guys think about 2 obsidian 12's with a 1600w rms hifonics amp in a custom ported box.
Definitely an upgrade from your original plan. I think you'll be happy

Ive had a couple Hifonics amps and Im pretty happy with the performance. I have heard good things about obsidian , if they arent availble you may like Sundown SA's if want to save space the SD-2 's are really nice I have 2 -10's in my Mini cooper

Yeah, I'm not sure if you can get your hands on new Obsidian 12's right now, but YES those ARE great subs, Very similar to the Sundown SA-12's, just a bit cheaper, but if you go to carstereogiant.com and look around, the SA's can be had for like $40 - off if you don't mind B-Stock ;-) As far as Hifonics amps... The only ones I have played around with are the Brutus Elite series, & I was kind of impressed with what they do for the $ - Either way: A Set of Obsidian or SA 12's and a Hifonics Amp with enough power for them will be mind blowing compared to your original setup inquiry //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I actually run the Hifonics BRZ 1700, they are good amps, but if you are planning to run 600watt sub like Skar, Sundown Obsidian I would actually advice to move u to the C2 audio or the american bass XFL, for the price I would go with c2 audio. with the XFL and C2 audio you get a beefier sub and bigger voice coil 3" for almost the same price (C2 is only $129 wth free shipping)

At least look at these subs before you decide. Good luck

Here's the info

Threatcon 2 with 3 inch voice coil Sub 12" very beefy 600watt $129

C2 Audio Threatcon-2

Threatcon-2-2T.jpg
Threatcon-2-3.jpg
Threatcon-2-4.jpg
Threatcon-2-5.jpg

Specifications:

12" Threatcon-2 Subwoofer

600 Watts RMS

Available in Dual 4 Ohm and Dual 2 Ohm

Dual 2 Ohm: Threatcon-2 12d2

Dual 4 Ohm: Threatcon-2 12d4

3" Copper 4 Layer Voice Coil

Double Stacked 160 oz Magnet

High Current Flat Woven Tinsel Leads

Dual Spider Pack

Dual Stitched Non Pressed Paper Cone-

with Mid Excursion Foam Surround

Enclosure Recommendations:

Sealed: 1.0 - 1.25 ft^3

Ported: 1.5 - 2.0 ft^3 @ 35hzSealed: 2.0 - 2.50 ft^3

Ported: 3.0 - 4.0 ft^3 @ 35hz

T/S Parameters:

FS: 36.7HZ

VAS: 40.9 DM3

QES: .44

QTS: .40

BL: 16.8

MMS: 167.7G

SENS: 91.5 DB

XMAX: 28 MM

Woofer Dimensions:

EXT DIA: 12.48"

CUT OUT DIA: 11.18"

MOUNT DEPTH: 5.82"

okay thanks for the replies! looks like im on the right track, it's definitely between obsidian or sundown and if i can't get the obsidian 12 till june then i will probably bite the bullet on the price difference and go with sundown.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.