Securing Subwoofer Box - Removeable

jolly_26
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have 2 12s in the boot in a pretty heavy box and every time I take a corner with any sort of pace it moves around.

Previously I had it attached to the carpet via velcro, but it started pulling the carpet around. I then attached the carpet to the thin piece of chipboard covering the spare tyre and it decided it would pull the whole lot around with it. I want it to be easily removable (preferably without the use of tools) so that I can change my tire when I get a flat.

I was thinking steel cable running to hooks on each side of the boot which I can just unhook to take it out, but that would mean I could no longer fit my guitar in the boot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Any thoughts? How do you guys do it?

Thought about it but it's just too ugly and would still allow for movement unless really cranked on hard. Cheers anyway. Any other thoughts?

If your trunk is carpeted try good velcro
from OP:

Previously I had it attached to the carpet via velcro, but it started pulling the carpet around. I then attached the carpet to the thin piece of chipboard covering the spare tyre and it decided it would pull the whole lot around with it
Yeah velcro should work but only if the carpet stays in place, and it can't really if the spare tyre still needs to come out. Thanks anyway.

Too ugly? ahh I see you look in your trunk quite often
Reasonably often yes, and the rest of my car is kept super tidy and any mods done are done to look like they are part of the car. My subs are carpeted in color matched carpet to my boot and my HU lights are the same color as all the aircon and dash lights; call me a perfectionist but it's just the way I do things haha

Reasonably often yes, and the rest of my car is kept super tidy and any mods done are done to look like they are part of the car. My subs are carpeted in color matched carpet to my boot and my HU lights are the same color as all the aircon and dash lights; call me a perfectionist but it's just the way I do things haha
thats the way it should always be done but most people are to lazy to take the time to do the work including myself. kudos to anyone that does extra mile in their work though

make a 1/2" thick MDF copy of your trunk floor, put it in your trunk, and put your carpet on top of that. Install your enclosure and drive a couple of bolts or screws from the bottom of your enclosure, into the floor you made.

thats the way it should always be done but most people are to lazy to take the time to do the work including myself. kudos to anyone that does extra mile in their work though
Cheers, I think it comes from the fact that I do everything on such a small budget, if you are working with low end gear you have to absolutely nail the install to stop it looking like some trashy ricer job.

Ugly install on a pair of Sundowns = at least he knows his gear, bet it goes hard

Ugly install on a pair of Pioneer Champions = just some kid with a ****** sounding stereo wanting to look cool.

Also: what about having two bolts up through the floor that the box just sits on top of (drill two holes in box base)? Can be easily lifted off and is invisible when the box is in? Would it work ok unsealed and just sitting there?

make a 1/2" thick MDF copy of your trunk floor, put it in your trunk, and put your carpet on top of that. Install your enclosure and drive a couple of bolts or screws from the bottom of your enclosure, into the floor you made.
sounds like a lot of work but I'll definitely keep it open as an option, I'll go have a look if it would work with my trunk and still enable tyre removal. Cheers.

Also: what about having two bolts up through the floor that the box just sits on top of (drill two holes in box base)? Can be easily lifted off and is invisible when the box is in? Would it work ok unsealed and just sitting there?
You could probably get away with that. But you need to be mindful of where your gas tank is.

You could probably get away with that. But you need to be mindful of where your gas tank is.
I'm gonna go with a combination of both our ideas, plus a new one. There's a recessed spot in the floor where I can stick down a MDF piece of wood, about 500x200, and will put the bolts up about 40mm through that, meaning the bolts can easily be removed when it comes time to sell, and the MDF can just stay there. Then on the inside base of the sub box I will glue down a 25mm cube of MDF in both of the places where the bolts will come through. This gives the bolt its 40mm of depth easily, and It won't need to actually create a hole in the box, and it will remain sealed.

Probably an unnecessary post, but if anyone is confused about a stealth mounting option in the future, there you go, have fun.

i use L brackets at the top and bottom of my box, screwed into the metal behind the rear seat. id do that. its not like your going to get a flat daily and all you need is a screwdriver if you need to take it out

Just as I did but used 1/4" mdf (to help save on weight) used L-brackets to secure to the floor. Had to replace factory particle board cause it snapped in half due to weight of box, batts, etc... Looks real clean I have not put the carpet back in but I can snap ya a pic if u need to see what it would look like.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.