Second amp / Distro Block Help

Mike Burke
10+ year member

Hello……I am needing a little help and suggestions on installing another amp to my system.

What I have installed now is :

Clarion CX 609 head unit…

RCA to my single amp….

Basic amp kit from walmart (not sure of wire size) installed for my

Rockford Fosgate 150 prime amp

It powers my 8” RF Punch sub

I am going to get a RF Punch 2/200 for my door speakers (Hybrid Audio Tech 6.5s)

From reading here it looks like I need to get a distro block and some wire. What kind of Distro Block should I be looking for and what size wire should I be using from the block to the amps ?

Do I need to upgrade the power wire I have now from my battery to the distro block ?

Should I get one block for the power and one for the ground ?

Is there a site that has a tutorial or diagrams about this ??

I know it’s basic stuff to you guys but its kind of new to me..

Thanks for any suggestions of help you send,

Mike

you need to figure out what size power wire you have running to your amp now, that would help a lot. I just bought all this stuff for the first time (first time doing two amps)

I bought this distribution block

2 Way Distribution System

you will need to figure out what size fuses are on each amp, for instance my subwoofer amp has 2x 30 amp fuses (aka 60 total) and then my speaker amp has 1x 20 amp fuse. So I ordered the distribution block with a 30 & and a 60 (since they don't have a 20)

you don't need a block for the ground, you can just ground them by themselves.

keep in mind you will need to upgrade the inline fuse that is on the power wire (by your battery) if it is not a large enough fuse to contain both amplifiers fuse sizes

In other words, I had a 60amp fuse on my original wire but when I upgraded to two amplifiers (60amp & 20 amp) I had to upgrade the inline fuse to a 80amp

The amp you are looking to purchase requires 4 gauge power and ground wire, which can also be found on that site I sent you.

Copper Cad Aluminum, Power Wire

Keep in mind the distribution block input side I sent you can only go as small as 4 gauge power wire so if your power wire now is an 8 gauge you will need to upgrade it to at least a 4 which would be recommended anyways. (most people on here have bigger than that, but 4 is what I am running)

Don't listen to the guy above.

First, post full specs of your amplifiers.

You will need a distribution block for + only. And don't listen to the Guy above about fusing. You don't fuse you wiring based on amperage of amps but on Max operating amperage of current wire size

Misconceptions like this cause electrical fires

Don't listen to the guy above.
First, post full specs of your amplifiers.

You will need a distribution block for + only. And don't listen to the Guy above about fusing. You don't fuse you wiring based on amperage of amps but on Max operating amperage of current wire size

Misconceptions like this cause electrical fires

My information comes from the site I ordered the distribution block from, not disagreeing with you as I am a newb, just letting you know what I was told and why I repeated it.

I would upgrade to 4 ga. from battery to the distro block and use the 8 ga. you already have from the distro block to the amps.I bought all my stuff from Amp Installation Kits, HDMI Cables . Also use 4 ga. wire for your grounds.

unless your on a super slim budget go with 4 gauge, you'll have some room to upgrade to better equipment in the future and have the power wire to allow it. knu Konceptz is easy on the wallet and its good wire.

since you already have 8 gauge you would save money, your only pulling in the ballpark of 30-40 amps even w/ new the amp so amperage is within range for 8 gauge, but you can never go too big on power wire.

the reason i say gauge to wire size is if you dont know this fact in the future, you may make the mistake of upgrading only the fuses and not the wire assuming that is all that's necessary. fusing is meant to protect wire from overheating and catching fire.

its not "unsafe" to use too small a fuse for your gauge of wiring, you just need to know what fusing is actually for.

if your keeping the 8 gauge, the "walmart dual amp kit" should work out okay. your running very little equipment in the aspect of amperage.

you need to ground amps to chassis, don't use a ground distro block, and you can run 8 gauge to the back to a non fused distro, then 8 out to both amps.

Walmart.com: Scosche Dual Amp Add-On Kit: Auto Electronics

My information comes from the site I ordered the distribution block from, not disagreeing with you as I am a newb, just letting you know what I was told and why I repeated it.
also this guy was "wrong" per say, but when you get a noob teaching noobs that you need to fuse by the amperage being used by equipment, you'll be taught that's all you need to do when upgrading to better equipment. in turn burning the vehicle to the ground when you finally get a 2000 wrms amplifier pulling 180 amps on an 8 gauge wire with a 200 amp fuse on it. 8 gauge would melt in no time on 180 amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Mike Burke

10+ year member
Mike Burke
Oskaloosa, Iowa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from